My most recent kill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know someone with land? I've had a lot of people tell me to drive up there (nw ok) and just ask some of the farmers if I could hunt prarie dogs and they would be more than happy to let you. Just curious.

Yeah I grew up in Guymon, and have a lot of family around Boise City/ Keyes. They know people, and know people that know people... They are pretty cool with letting you just go shoot from what I know. You are definitely welcome to join me next time I go. I am gonna go up there when it gets colder. Don't know how the prairie dogs will do, but the coyotes should be good.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you get to see a lot of dogs. I've never been. I always figured it would be like deer hunting. Maybe you see them, or you don't.

I've only dog hunted about 5 times, but each time we get at least one to come in.. This last trip we saw at least 3. Got a shot at two, and killed one. I hear it's better when it's cold. I've never coyote hunted during the winter time really, but I hear it's better.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that some of those dogs carry plague fleas, and that you can catch it from them. Not common, but does happen occasionally, and that's an occasion nobody needs to encounter. Serioulsly.

In case somebody is wondering which plague, it's bubonic, which killed a fourth of the world's population in the 14th century, and it can still be just as deadly if you don't detect it early. In the 70s there was a man in New Mexico who caught it from a prairie dog flea, and it went pneumonic. Bad juju. When it's active, go in a room full of people, cough, and everybody's dead in 24 hours. They put the guy in a sealed environment, pumped him full of antibiotics, and managed to save his lucky butt.

Bottom line, don't handle the dead dogs. CB

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that some of those dogs carry plague fleas, and that you can catch it from them. Not common, but does happen occasionally, and that's an occasion nobody needs to encounter. Serioulsly.

In case somebody is wondering which plague, it's bubonic, which killed a fourth of the world's population in the 14th century, and it can still be just as deadly if you don't detect it early. In the 70s there was a man in New Mexico who caught it from a prairie dog flea, and it went pneumonic. Bad juju. When it's active, go in a room full of people, cough, and everybody's dead in 24 hours. They put the guy in a sealed environment, pumped him full of antibiotics, and managed to save his lucky butt.

Bottom line, don't handle the dead dogs. CB

amen to that. I definitely didn't touch him. Rolled him over with the shoe, snapped a pic, and left. I hear some people actually eat prairie dogs... They may be ok tasting, but I am not about to spend that long touching the nasty things to see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom