NATO Promises to Prosecute U.S. Soldiers for Koran Burning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why am I not hearing anything more about this story in the MSM? There are very few articles out there about it and some have broken links. (I know, tin hat stuff right?)

http://www.examiner.com/conservativ...prosecute-u-s-soldiers-koran-burning-incident

Report: NATO promises to prosecute U.S. soldiers in Koran-burning incident

Afghan government, through its "Media and Information Center," reported Saturday that NATO has promised to prosecute the U.S. soldiers involved in the Koran-burning incident that has sparked outrage in the Muslim world.

"NATO officials promised to meet Afghan nation’s demand of bringing to justice, through an open trial, those responsible for the incident and it was agreed that the perpetrators of the crime be brought to justice as soon as possible," the statement said.

Apparently, Obama's groveling and apologies are not enough.

Last Monday, the BBC reported:

Afghan officials told the AP news agency that the Korans were in rubbish that two soldiers with the US-led coalition transported in a lorry late on Monday night to a pit on the base where waste is burned.

When five Afghans working at the pit noticed the religious books in the rubbish, they stopped the disposal process.

Since then, Gen John R. Allen apologized for the incident, saying it was inadvertent.

"We are thoroughly investigating the incident and we are taking steps to ensure this does not ever happen again. I assure you… I promise you… this was not intentional in any way," he said.

The joint statement called on Afghans to remain calm and "exercise self-restraint and extra vigilance in dealing with the issue" in order to "avoid resorting to protests and demonstrations that may provide ground for the enemy to take advantage of the situation."

But the message got out a bit too late, as thousands have already taken to the streets, killing over 20 people in two days. Seven military personnel were injured when protesters lobbed hand grenades at the airbase and two military personnel were killed in an attack the Taliban has already taken credit for.

Obama has not demanded an apology for those deaths or injuries, but has bent over backwards apologizing to the entire Muslim world.

The Afghan statement continued, calling on the U.S. to hand over control of the prison at Bagram and praising the Afghans for showing "feelings" following the act:

4. The assigned delegations demand from the government of Afghanistan to take over from the Americans the authority of the Bagram prison so no such incidents can recur and calls on the US government to fully and comprehensively cooperate to this end.

5. The delegations also want from the Afghan government to formally praise those brave Afghan army soldiers and all others who showed feelings against the disrespectful act by preventing more religious books and Quran copies from burning, so that the pure Muslim sentiments of our honored Mujahid nation can remain alive.

CNN reported that as a result of the "feelings" being expressed by Afghans, "[t]wo American troops were killed Thursday by a man wearing an Afghan National Army uniform..."

According to CNN, "[t]he gunman is thought to have been acting in conjunction with a protest outside the base," an unidentified U.S. official said.

A post at The Conservative Treehouse asks: "It’s not even remotely possible that our government would ever agree to such a thing, right?… Right??"

"But," Jim Campbell writes at Western Journalism, "what is the violation, for the desecration of the enemy’s holy book the sacred Qur’an? Committing such and act would be in violation of Sharia law among its adherents, not a violation of military law."

If Obama permits this "trial" to take place, he will be sending a clear message that U.S. military personnel will be subject not just to foreign law, but to Islamic Sharia law.

A blog post at The Independent Sentinel notes:

Our Apologizer-in-Chief, Barack Hussein Obama, has empowered the corrupt Afghan government to use the accidental burning of the Qurans as an excuse to now put the perpetrators, presumably U.S. military, on trial. Under Shariah Law, an insult warrants serious criminal prosecution and an insult is anything they say is an insult.

"First we issue a series of unbelievably humiliating apologies, then we promise to prosecute whoever is responsible for this nonexistent crime. How much farther down the list of penance is unconditional surrender," asks a post at Verum Serum.

Call it "fundamental transformation" in Obama's era of "hope and change."

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF, I were the U.S. military commander, I think my response to the NATO command would be "I don't think I'll let you prosecute my troops today."

Between the insane operational tempo, stop-loss, overly restrictive rules of engagement, willingness to throw our troops under the bus everytime someone gets upset, failure to adequately care for the troops post war, etc., etc., etc., I'd say they're well on their way to destroying our volunteer military. When conscription becomes the only choice left, we'll know we've screwed the pooch beyond repair.

I'm proud to have been a Marine, but if I had to make that choice today? Not a chance in hell I'd do it. I can't work for people who despise the very concept of what they want me to be. :(

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again. Time to go. Not a phased withdrawal...but complete and immediate expedited un-assing of the AO.

Not one more American needs to bleed out on that soil. We tried, we failed. Quit throwing good money after bad.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IF, I were the U.S. military commander, I think my response to the NATO command would be "I don't think I'll let you prosecute my troops today."

Between the insane operational tempo, stop-loss, overly restrictive rules of engagement, willingness to throw our troops under the bus everytime someone gets upset, failure to adequately care for the troops post war, etc., etc., etc., I'd say they're well on their way to destroying our volunteer military. When conscription becomes the only choice left, we'll know we've screwed the pooch beyond repair.

I'm proud to have been a Marine, but if I had to make that choice today? Not a chance in hell I'd do it. I can't work for people who despise the very concept of what they want me to be. :(

You are spot on...

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again. Time to go. Not a phased withdrawal...but complete and immediate expedited un-assing of the AO.

Not one more American needs to bleed out on that soil. We tried, we failed. Quit throwing good money after bad.

I do not look at it as if we really tried. I think the focus was too much on saving face, being too concerned with how everyone would look at us for our actions and thus we pulled our punches.

Truth is I think it's obvious we have the power to dominate any of those countries housing these fanaticals. But instead we just rolled in, and basically setup camp and let them take pot shots and set traps for our guys.

But I basically agree. If we are not going to label our enemy as everyone affiliateded or in support of harming us, and make te decision that it is them or us; and choose to kill anyone tha gets in our way to killing these people that would do the exact same to kill us. Then
We are only left with with the option of coming home. I refuse to accept defeat or failure, what really failed was not our troops or our nation, it was the failure in that we did not fight our fight as a proper war. We declared war on a group of people who hide behind civilians, and we refused to annihilate our enemy at the cost of the lives of the civilians that they are hiding behind or helping them.

There is no room in war for this mentality. Wars should be short and with specific goals, take what you came for, kill who you came for, then leave and throw the victory party. But that is clearly not how we fight anymore......

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, we tried. I saw it first hand...but we got lost along the way. Where exactly will be debated for years by people smarter than me. But we were getting it right for a little while. (IMHO, it started to turn when they saw us begin to maneuver towards a withdrawal from Iraq. They knew they could wait us out in A-stan as well. Our allies started to de-commit and we adopted the bunker/FOB mentality.)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, it's OK to burn our flags in the streets and behead Americans on videotape and show it to the world, but there is hell to pay if we burn a few books.

Latest posts

Top Bottom