Need a holster! HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I have never carried a pistol in a position where it needed concealed. Always bumming around the farm, hunting or target shooting. Well now my carry permit came in and my holsters are standard belt type, western-ish, or pancake style.

Right now dont really have the funds for a dedicated carry gun like a J frame or small auto so I gotta stick with what I got.

My current options are:
5" Springfield 1911
4" Smith model 10-5
Smith Governor

Have a 4" N-Frame 41 mag and a Model 66 with a 6" but really have no desire to carry any of those.

In reality leaning toward the 1911 or the 10-5. I shoot them the best/most. So I am looking for a concealment type of holster for either and would like some ideas on where to look (or where not to look). IWB or OWB prefered maybe.

I feel my holster collection will be growing.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out Simply Rugged holsters, I'm up to 5 or 6 from Rob now, and they are all good quality leather! I got one for my 6" DW 357 Mag, and other than sheer barrel/gun length, I could carry it concealed in this holster with no problem; also picked up one for my Ruger LW commander (4.25") a few weeks back, it conceals it with no problem. I also got the double mag pouch he makes to go with the 1911 carry. And his Silver Dollar Pancake holsters work great for the small revolvers, I've got one for my 2.25" Ruger SP 101. These are all OWB holsters, and you can add IWB straps on most of his holsters for another $10-15 when you order, and have two holsters in one. www.simplyrugged.com

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been happy with my Smart Carry for my Kimber Pro Carry. I also have a Watch Six by Milt Sparks, but it's worn, and I have found the safety off a couple of times.

Have a new Beretta Storm Compact, and I think I'm going for a hybrid in the Comp-tac style. May go with Alienware or Tucker for brand though.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are new to carrying in public, I think you will find most people never notice, and the ones that do don't care one way or the other. We are all paranoid in public at first. If they do say anything, remember, that is why you got your license, you are legal. Just act that way and be polite. Just because you own a corvette does not mean you are speeding all the time.

I usually wear a T-Shirt draped over the top of my 1911 with a OWB holster and do not worry about the few times it sticks out the bottom. 2-3 years never had a comment.

I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck for my 1911 when I wear a dress shirt. It does take a little getting used to but it does a great job of being very reasonably concealed after messing with the fit. Only had one comment from a friend that knows I always carry. She said "Don't you hate to dress up and feel naked without your 1911?" I said, "I am not naked." I made a point to bump into her a little later. She was surprised.

Good luck on your choices.
Ken

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of what you list, the Mod 10 4" will be the more pleasant to tote and easier to conceal. If it's a blued version I'd suggest waxing it with a high grade, non-grit type paste wax. It will protect the finish quite a bit.

Lobo Leather out of Colorado Springs makes some really good quality leather at a reasonable price. I can recommend this one http://www.lobogunleather.com/5_iwb_belt_loop_style I would suggest spending the few bucks to get the superior horse hide. Also spend the few bucks for the hammer guards; I'd go for inner and outer. He makes other products; give them all a look.

Grips are going to be part of the comfort package. Neoprene may stick to your clothing. A smooth wood or similar may be the best choice for comfort and concealment.

I would suggest at least one speed loader strip in a convenient pocket. The round speed loaders might be faster but they are not nearly so easy to carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom