need deer tag if not hunting? yes/no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a quick question.

I was reading a story on channel 4's website regarding feral hogs HERE and had a question.

In the story, Bill Hale says that: "You have to have a hunting license if you are on public hunting areas and you have to have deer tags if you are in the field during deer gun or deer black powder. If you are out at those times and you have a firearm, you have to have a deer tag even if you're hunting the hogs."

My question is this: Do you have to have a Hunting license/deer tag if your out in the pasture with a rifle and not hunting during deer season? When I visit my families place down in Sulphur, I always make it a habit get on the ATV and "check the fence line". I never go without some kind of firearm, usually a rifle.

If I'm out during deer season, do I run the risk of getting fined/guns confiscated? Especially since during deer season I would more than likely put on some blaze orange for safety's sake.

Thanks guys!

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From your quote, it sounds like that applies to public hunting grounds. Your families place wouldn't be considered public.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmm. technically you shouldn't need license, tag, orange, or anything, to kill hogs on private land. on public land you must follow the regs of whatever is in season. in reality though, if the GW comes across you with a firearm during deer season, you may have a hard time convincing him you're not poaching deer.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(I've never been much into hunting, so bear with me). Let me ask this... I realize that even on private land, you've got to follow hunting regulations with licenses and tags. But can a Game Warden enter onto private land and give a ticket? Don't they need some kind of warrant to enter private property? Or is it different since it's not a house?

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(I've never been much into hunting, so bear with me). Let me ask this... I realize that even on private land, you've got to follow hunting regulations with licenses and tags. But can a Game Warden enter onto private land and give a ticket? Don't they need some kind of warrant to enter private property? Or is it different since it's not a house?

From my understanding no they dont need a warrant/

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct

Jennifer Benge
Information and Education Technician
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

"No hunter ed? Get an apprentice-designated license. Click here for details"

Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:32 PM
To: info
Subject: hog hunting during deer season
In the hog hunting regulations for private lands, it says that if one is pursuing hogs during deer gun season with a shotgun and rifled slug or a rifle or handgun larger than 22 caliber rimfire, one must have a filled or unfilled deer tag. So is it therefore correct that if I use a shotgun with 00 buckshot (no restriction on shot size for hogs) and/or a 22 magnum pistol to hunt hogs on private property during deer gun season, that no deer gun tag is required?
Thank you for your consideration.
Best regards

For the OP:
I take a shotgun instead of a rifle. No slugs. You have to wear some orange regardless.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A game warden is a law enforcement officer that specializes in enforcing game laws. They more or less work within the same guidelines as most any other LEO in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom