Need diamond ring help quick!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.helzberg.com/product/1ct...ags+graded+1761863.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
Helzberg 1 ct masterpiece, I have seen it in person. It's beautiful, but not sure it worth $12k! Ideally, $8-10k will be nice.
I don't know enough about diamonds to figure out how to replicate that look, or even get one that's better. More importantly, where to find one locally. I needed it next week for our 11th anniversary.
Any help?

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know if it's GIA certified?? If so, get the specifics, call other stores for the same type of diamond and price.

Example:

Color-E

Clarity-VVs1...no fissures, no carbon.

Cut-Round

Call or go to other stores and ask about a loose diamond with your "dimensions". Also, a band in either white gold or platinum to have the diamond in question mounted. You want the cost for all of it, time of completion, AND a GIA certification.

Why GIA, if a store does their own certification...there can be a lot of speculation. Example:the store may say oh...it's a vvs1, where a GIA, which is the industry standard ..is what it is...period...could rate the same diamond as a VS1, color G.

Call around, or go into stores with your Helzberg standard and compare price and quality.

It shouldn't take more than a day or two for a jewelry store to mount a diamond in a setting..unless they're backed up or have to order...which ordering might defeat your purpose...unless its a good deal and can meet the timeline.

Don't worry, diamonds are not...I repeat...are not scarce. Russia and Australia are sitting on tons of diamonds. Diamond families like the DeBeers and big Diamond merchants in Isreal, Holland and Belgium...keep production tight to control cost..both wholesale and retail.

Sacrce diamonds are like the ones in crown jewels and in the Smithsonian...the rest...there's tons of them. Those that control the diamonds, control the cost. Those that control gold, make the golden rule.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go for cut and clarity. A smaller diamond with a high cut and clarity rating actually looks bigger than a larger carat with lower cut and clarity. You can skimp on color to save money (up to like an H i think, it's hard to see a difference with the naked eye). Basically, max out cut and clarity, then play with color to get it in your price range.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, this is just my experience researching my wife's engagement ring, so your mileage may vary.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgot to mention...if you have the time...play with the size of the diamond.

Example: You may want to get your wife a 2 carat and the jewelry store has both a 2 carat and a 1.68 carat but that one is a few dollars less. They're exactly the same except in size. But to the eye, they look almost the same, but to the pocket book...there might be a noticeable difference.

I know this to be true with emerald cut diamonds, a few increments in size equal and exponential difference in cost.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know if it's GIA certified?? If so, get the specifics, call other stores for the same type of diamond and price.

Example:

Color-E

Clarity-VVs1...no fissures, no carbon.

Cut-Round

Call or go to other stores and ask about a loose diamond with your "dimensions". Also, a band in either white gold or platinum to have the diamond in question mounted. You want the cost for all of it, time of completion, AND a GIA certification.

Why GIA, if a store does their own certification...there can be a lot of speculation. Example:the store may say oh...it's a vvs1, where a GIA, which is the industry standard ..is what it is...period...could rate the same diamond as a VS1, color G.

Call around, or go into stores with your Helzberg standard and compare price and quality.

It shouldn't take more than a day or two for a jewelry store to mount a diamond in a setting..unless they're backed up or have to order...which ordering might defeat your purpose...unless its a good deal and can meet the timeline.

Don't worry, diamonds are not...I repeat...are not scarce. Russia and Australia are sitting on tons of diamonds. Diamond families like the DeBeers and big Diamond merchants in Isreal, Holland and Belgium...keep production tight to control cost..both wholesale and retail.

Sacrce diamonds are like the ones in crown jewels and in the Smithsonian...the rest...there's tons of them. Those that control the diamonds, control the cost. Those that control gold, make the golden rule.

Go for cut and clarity. A smaller diamond with a high cut and clarity rating actually looks bigger than a larger carat with lower cut and clarity. You can skimp on color to save money (up to like an H i think, it's hard to see a difference with the naked eye). Basically, max out cut and clarity, then play with color to get it in your price range.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, this is just my experience researching my wife's engagement ring, so your mileage may vary.

Forgot to mention...if you have the time...play with the size of the diamond.

Example: You may want to get your wife a 2 carat and the jewelry store has both a 2 carat and a 1.68 carat but that one is a few dollars less. They're exactly the same except in size. But to the eye, they look almost the same, but to the pocket book...there might be a noticeable difference.

I know this to be true with emerald cut diamonds, a few increments in size equal and exponential difference in cost.

I am quoting these so you have to re-read them. excellent advice.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advise, don't buy retail, you're probably looking at 200% markup. My wife and I were very pleased with our purchase at H&A.

H&A International Jewelry
3535 Northwest 58th Street
Suite 860
Oklahoma City, OK 73112
405-947-6616

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Israel diamond supply in Tulsa. Worth the trip. Paid 5k for my wife's new center stone. .85 karat I believe but it's top quality. Like has been said, the higher quality makes a smaller diamond look much bigger

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't bought a diamond in a few years (wife is into Lalique...new and vintage). Some jewelrs will try to promote a diamond with fluorescence....why I don't know.

To me a diamond that glows a blue or pink or red under uv light?? I want it to sparkle shooting star, no carbon, no fissures or glow in uv light.

Maybe someone will tell us about the importance or lack of importance of a fluorescence in a diamond??

Talk to John Pikerton ar Penn Square B.C.Clarks or Coleman Clark at the downtown B.C.Clarks..lord knows I've put some employees kid through college.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom