Need Help, Remington 700 ML

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a Remington 700 ML, not the new one, its an older model. Has the 209 conversion kit. I have tried sabots, solid bullets, I have always shot Pyrodex 50 grain pellets with no problem.

I cannot get this rifle to group worth a dang, its all over the place, remounted the scope, tried a different scope. No luck, I have a friend that shoots the exact model with good accuracy, he moved away and we lost contact before I bought this rifle or I would be picking his brain.

I keep the rifle clean, the bore looks great, cannot figure out what the problem is.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Had one of those in .54 cal for a time, gave it to my uncle. I was in the same boat, it didn't like most of what I was trying. After lots of trial and error, I finally found that it like 100gr.(volume) of loose Ffg T7 and a 390gr. Hornady Great Plains bullet, it would put 3 shots inside a 2" circle at 100 yards, which was plenty good for my needs. It DID NOT like to be cleaned between shots, it loved being dirty. Only muzzleloader I've ever shot that got better the dirtier it got.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try 100 grains of blackhorn 209 and harvester sabots and the Hornady xtp's or sst's. You need to use hotter primers with the blackhorn, clean up is a breeze, but don't use black powder solvent. I second the smokeless conversion. It's legal for hunting in OK and mine is extremely accurate.