New house for homesteading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on an insert for your fireplace - so much more efficient and will heat your house quite well. Also safer if you plan to burn blackjack due to the way blackjack pops and throws hot coals out of a fireplace. A freezer or two will be important to keep produce from your garden and meat from deer, hogs, etc. Our family ran a dairy when I was a kid, so we always had milk, etc. We raised hogs at one time - lots of ways to preserve and utilize pork. And you can mix it with deer meat and spices for sausage.

Cedar Creek

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so don't listen to these folk saying you haven't got enough land.

5 acres is plenty for a family. His garden will be his food plot clay. It's inevitable
I didnt say he didnt have "enough" but he will be limited. If its covered in trees its hard to grow grass to sustain a cow and buying hay gets expensive quick. If its just one cow, this is doable for sure if he clears at least 2 acres and puts in some good burmuda grass for the bovine. Then a half acre garden and hes used halfhis land already. Want a pond on it? Another acre...
I have 7.5 acres so I know what is possible with it. Mine is all grass though.

gldnflash23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you've just done what we are saving and planning for right now! Bought our first house in the burbs a year and a half ago and when we did that we also made a 5 year plan to be out of the city and onto 5+ acres. Our reasons are basically the same as yours, we want to be more self-reliant, we want to KNOW what we are eating, we want to be prepared for job loss and economy collapse (god forbid), and we want land for our 1 and 3 year old to romp on as they grow up. I grew up on 5 acres in the country and miss it incredibly bad.

Many of the things we are planning to do once we've purchased a place have already been mentioned, but we want to have solar power, a water well, rain water collection, large garden, chickens, maybe a cow or two, and a fireplace or wood burning stove is a must. All of these things are easily achievable on 5 acres and help big time in preparing for the things you wish to prepare for, so don't listen to these folk saying you haven't got enough land. Congrats on your purchase and keep us updated on the progress!

I will say the prize was well worth it and we have not even closed on the house. Waiting on the abstract to be finalized and then we are all a go. I will say to adventure_advocate that be patient and the right house will come along at the right price. We lived in a RV for 14 months before we found the perfect house. Looking back there were a couple of houses that I should have bought and could have made them my own by the time I found this house that was perfect. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, since we just lived it

gldnflash23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on an insert for your fireplace - so much more efficient and will heat your house quite well. Also safer if you plan to burn blackjack due to the way blackjack pops and throws hot coals out of a fireplace. A freezer or two will be important to keep produce from your garden and meat from deer, hogs, etc. Our family ran a dairy when I was a kid, so we always had milk, etc. We raised hogs at one time - lots of ways to preserve and utilize pork. And you can mix it with deer meat and spices for sausage.

Cedar Creek

This confirms it, the insert will be one of the first purchases that we make. This is exactly why I started the thread, I had not even considered the insert, but after all the recommendation and research on my part it is a MUST HAVE. thanks to all

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This confirms it, the insert will be one of the first purchases that we make. This is exactly why I started the thread, I had not even considered the insert, but after all the recommendation and research on my part it is a MUST HAVE. thanks to all

We an insert in about 18 months ago, so this will be our second winter with it. It is amazing what a difference it has made. You will NOT be sorry ...

My only regret is that we didn't get the one with the blower ... if we'd done that we'd NEVER have the heater go off. Our thermostat is set at 62, and only kicks on if we leave the fire out for 24 hours or more. Even with going to bed at 10, if we stoke it before we go to bed and get up at 6, the heater never kicks on.

We just put new windows, siding and a roof on a few years back. Next project is new insulation in the attic/ceiling. And some shrubbery on the west side of the house ... for a bit of a wind break ... I want some kind of fruiting shrub ...

Reaction score
I will say the prize was well worth it and we have not even closed on the house. Waiting on the abstract to be finalized and then we are all a go. I will say to adventure_advocate that be patient and the right house will come along at the right price. We lived in a RV for 14 months before we found the perfect house. Looking back there were a couple of houses that I should have bought and could have made them my own by the time I found this house that was perfect. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, since we just lived it

I figured patience would be the key. I'm not sure what we will do when it actually comes time to sell our current house and buy some land. My dream (in a perfect world) is to buy land while living in our current house, get it groomed and ready for a home, then build a home on it and sell our current home just as the new home is ready to be moved into... We would be extremely lucky for that to happen though... We may have to look into a 6 month lease on an apartment or something of that sort when that time comes because we've got two boys and living in an RV with them would most likely be hell (lol), to cover any time gaps that may occur. More realistically though, we may end up doing as you did and buy a place that already exists. Thanks for the offer of a helping hand, I will definitely look you up if I've got any questions that arise!

Latest posts

Top Bottom