new hunters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just wondering how many new or first time hunters we have here. what drew you to want to hunt ? did some else influence you or tv shows ,mags etc?

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to hunting. My two boys ,6 & 9, had expressed some interest in hunting so I figured it would be something we could do together. I don't come from a hunting family, but I've got a good friend who hunts a lot and he's answered a lot of my questions. He also took me turkey hunting this past spring and now I'm hooked! I doubt I do any deer hunting this season but probably next. I want to try and get the boys out this fall and do some coyote hunting, and possibly some fall turkey hunting. Im not sure if this is the kind of info you were looking for, if you have a more specific question, feel free to ask.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, thats the kind of thing i'm interested to know. i've tried to get my stepsons interested to no avail. they are both grown now ,but when the were younger the youngest went a few times and killed a doe once. but he soon lost interest and i've hunted by myself the last few years.

just wondering if the interest in hunting was lost with the younger folks and if hunting has a future.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just took my Hunter Ed class today.

I had an interest in it when I was little, but my dad wasn't allowed to take us so he rarely went. (One of his uncles blew off a hand and three fingers, so my mom was very much against us even touching his guns.)

Dad asked me last year if I wanted to go quail hunting, but I hadn't taken the Hunter Ed course yet. Earlier this year, he expressed interest in a deer rifle, so I think we might do a little bit.

My wife's deal is "you shoot it, you eat it", so I think I might just get to find out what birds taste like, lol.

His dad was too old to go hunting by the time that I was old enough to go, and likely wouldn't have taken me out of respect for my mom. However, I have gotten to hear quite a few good stories from my dad.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my grandson is 5 and his mother says he can go when he is 8. hope i'm still in good enough shape to take him when the time comes

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its been awhile back, but my imedate family did not hunt, nor did they own guns. My Grandpa had a couple he inherited that he gave me when I was 16.

I was and am still into reading books.
Was inthralled with mountain man books like Jim Bridger and the "call of the wild.
The more intense and extreme the writers wrote about, the more I wanted to be like them.

When 12 or so, my uncle bought a quarter section of land with 90 acres of trees and bottom ground. There was a small artisian well that bubbled naturally.
My folks let me camp out there alone, for weeks at a time in the summers.

Built a cedar lined lean to next to the well, and life was good. Shooting squirrels and catching fish from the pond.
Little did I know my uncle was sneaking into my camp at night, and replenishing my supplies.
I know this sounds impossible to y'all that are younger, but things were different in those days. You could trust people, and those people trusted you.

Later on with my kids, I can't imagine letting them do that.

they were into video game crap and so on. City boys to this day.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad took me hunting starting when I was 8. He also loved to fish, so I was exposed to the outdoors early on. He later bought land and a cabin and I've been hunting with him ever since.

I guess I really enjoy the challenge and preparation of hunting. I played video games, went to the mall, played sports. However, none of my other friends were really into hunting. Other city kids thought I was weird when I would talk about hunting. Luckily, I've got a buddy that's big into it now.

My son is 4 months old, but when he gets older I will expose him to hunting/fishing. If it's not his thing then cool, but I hope he likes it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - How sadthe times have become where you seem to always have to watch your back side. I grew up in those times where most people were all honest and trustworthy. I imagine we could swap some stories.

Latest posts

Top Bottom