New Lever Gun: Marlin in 30-30 or 45-70?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See, I know I should get both. However, one or the other. 30-30 is limited to deer and the 45-70 up to T-Rex! Never know when I might run across Bg Foot, the Chicken Man, or some aliens lifeform.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See, I know I should get both. However, one or the other. 30-30 is limited to deer and the 45-70 up to T-Rex! Never know when I might run across Bg Foot, the Chicken Man, or some aliens lifeform.

Don't you worry about that 30-30...I believe it'll drop a T-Rex just as quick as that 45-70 would. :thumb:

Shot placement doesn't just apply to handgun calibers, ya know. ;)

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can load for both calibers so that is not an issue. Both calibers are 150-200 max. I want a scout version and both are doable. Help a guy decide?

I was in your dilema, I wanted a lever action brush gun. I was debating among the various calibers. I thought about going 30-30 simply becuase you can buy ammo just about anywhere. I already have a bolt action 30-06 for longer, more open terrain. So I settled on the 45-70. For me it will work for what I hunt now, deer and hogs. Also, it will work on bears once I get the chance to organize my hunt.

BTW - It is not a bad zombie gun either

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you reload, the .45-70 is a better choice, IMHO. Mild pressure, easy to do cast bullets if you're into that, and easy to load up or down as you please. Loading them with the attitude that they're a repeating muzzle loader can give you some great performance on deer, without the meat loss you get from some of the rapid-expanding bullets.

And as mentioned earlier...you know...T-rex.

I don't reload, so I have my boring ol' .30-30 336.