New muzzle loader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a CVA Optima this summer and I'm getting ready to sight it in. I'm looking at using the Hornady 350grain FPB bullets with blackhorn209 powder. I'll probably start at 90gr and work to 120gr. Does anyone have any suggestions better bullet or powder?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That powder gets great reviews but I've not used it. Shoot a smokeless Savage, but I used Triple 7 and Powerbelts in my Knight with fantastic accuracy............ 100gr Triple 7 and the 245gr Powerbelts. When my daughter hunts with the Knight, I load the same bullet with 50g of Triple 7.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished sighting in the same gun. I am using 100g of 777 and 245g. powerbelt aerotips. I am currently under 1" at 100yds. Ill start at 200 this weekend.
My biggest problem right now is my clean bore shot is 6- to 8-in off from a "dirty" bore shot. I field clean between each shot, but apparently need to find a different routine.

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I ended up going with 80gr blackhorn209 and 270gr powerbelts and I'm hiting about .5" high at 100yrds. I'll try my hornardy a this summer.

By the way the blackhorn209 powder is awesome it shot 7 times without needing swabbed(still didn't but I wanted to verify my zero with a clean bore.) and it was still loading easy.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just a personal thought..kinda thinkin outloud.

Yall guys that shoot 80gr and over. I really don't think all that powder is burning in the short barrels in modern muzzleloaders. I think that's the reason for all the extra crude in the bore.

I'm thinkin if ya drop down to less than 80gr you'll get a better burn. I shoot 60grains in a 42" and use real black powder.

Even in my "short" barreled traditional guns I've never heard of half the cleaning and shot to shot variance some of yall are getting and the "heavy" powder loads are the only real difference.

When powder burn there should be little or no residue, just smoke and very little black or gray dust.

Latest posts

Top Bottom