New Oil Refinery in Cushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say it will not happen.
That's possible. It was announced last August that the same company was to build the same refinery in or around Houston. And the story states that they are just now seeking required air quality permits. Maybe it's
another plant. I don't know.
Sum Ting Wong. But I hope it happens.

victoria-bloomington-refinery-southern-rock.html

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That will be the first refinery built in 40 some years if I read the news correctly.
Yeah, it will have to meet a lot of the current air quality standards, but I'm not against that.
We have the technology now to make a clean air refinery.
Ponca has at one time had the 10th largest refinery in the world, but that has been surpassed many times now in Saudi and other locations.
When growing up, the air stunk all the time, it was horrible.
Now, there is absolutely no smell coming out of that place.
Yes, it cost them a ton of money, but they are still a profitable business.
I retired from OG&E in a coal fired power plant that was rated one of the cleanest for emissions in the world, but they went further and put in scrubbers to clean the air more in response to the obummer administrations proposed clean air regulations that never happened, but the company went ahead and did the upgrade to make emissions cleaner.
I have zero issues with that. We are all stewards of our environment. Our wildlife benefits from clean air/water, as well as humans as long as it's done responsibly.
We have the radical environmentalist that want zero emissions, and we have the ones that want to dump waste products into the rivers and creeks.
That creates a dialog and discussions where most often the middle ground is met.
Case in point is the obama regulations for waters of the US, called WOTUS. They wanted the feds to be able to control water puddles in the middle of a wheat field after a rain.
The Supreme court pretty much wasted that law today, leaving land owners in charge.

The broad authority of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in its administration of the Waters of the U.S. (WOTUS) rule has been curbed. A decision issued by the U.S. Supreme Court in the case Sackett v. EPA, now narrows WOTUS authority. The Justices ruled in favor of Chantell and Michael Sackett in their effort to build a home in an area EPA classified as a protected wetland. The Court determined that the WOTUS component of the Clean Water Act (CWA) had been misinterpreted by EPA.

WOTUS Authority
In the majority opinion, Justice Samuel Alito wrote “the CWA extends to only those ‘wetlands with a continuous surface connection to bodies that are ‘waters of the United States’ in their own right,’ so that they are “indistinguishable” from those waters.” The Court has decided that the CWA can not be applied to wetlands like swamps, marshes, and berms that are only “adjacent” to larger bodies of navigable water.

In their dissenting opinions, justices Elena Kagan and Brett Kavanaugh claim that the Court has rewritten the CWA. However, Justice Alito points out that their argument ignores the statutory provision limiting CWA’s geographic reach. Justice Alito writes, “Thus, neither separate opinion even attempts to explain how the wetlands included in their interpretation fall within a fair reading of “waters.” Textualist arguments that ignore the operative text cannot be taken seriously.”

Several agricultural groups have expressed appreciation for the decision to limit WOTUS authority. The Agricultural Retailers Association notes that the decision “finally restores common sense back into WOTUS regulation.” The American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF), which has long been engaged in efforts to reform WOTUS, also noted appreciation for the ruling.

“The EPA clearly overstepped its authority under the Clean Water Act by restricting private property owners from developing their land despite being far from the nearest navigable water,” AFBF President Zippy Duvall said in a statement. “The justices respect private property rights. It’s now time for the Biden administration to do the same and rewrite the Waters of the United States Rule.”

https://agnetwest.com/supreme-court-limits-wotus-authority/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was my sales territory 10 years ago. The speculators were buying land south of the tank farm even back then. Mostly for trailer parks and housing is what I was told.
Recall the Hudson Refinery?
Last time I was in Cushing that old refinery has been mothballed and was in pretty bad shape, but the company or owners can't get rid of it. Enviromental issues would require billions of dollars of soil repair and reclamation for that 80 or so acres.
It's in the company interest to hold on to the land no matter what it costs in taxes, etc.
Same as Ponca. When the refinery was being built in the 20's, some of the storage tanks had earthen floors. Some of the residences around the town around it started getting crude and refined products seeping into basements and driveways.
Conoco settled with no admission of guilt, but bought all the homes in that area at premium prices so the residents would move. Two didn't accept the offer, so those two homes stayed until they passed away. All are gone now.
In the 80's we used to take our three wheelers on the Arkansas river sand bars to ride, but we never rode south of the Hwy 60 bridge as there was a creek there that came directly from the refinery in the same area as the buy out. Everything metal would immediately corrode and turn to rust shortly after riding down there. Any fish caught would be inedible.

Fast forward, all of that has been cleaned up, with the creek dredged to remove pollutants, traps built in the refinery to capture and monitor the water before being released. It was rainwater runoff mixed with the crude and processed crude that was seeping through the ground from those old tanks.
Fish are good now and so on.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Phone: (405) 557-7304

STATEMENT: Talley Comments on New Oil Refinery in Cushing

OKLAHOMA CITY – Rep. John Talley, R-Stillwater, today commented on the news that Southern Rock Energy Partners (SREP) has selected Cushing as the site for a $5.6 billion refinery in Cushing.

"The creation of this refinery is a generational gamechanger for Cushing and the surrounding north central Oklahoma community. The economic impact of Southern Rock Energy Partner's new refinery is the most significant development in Cushing's recent history, and I look forward to seeing the future of SREP in Oklahoma. For the past two years, I've worked with the leaders at the Cushing Economic Development Foundation and the City of Cushing to secure this investment, and I want to thank them for their diligent work and support as we deliver for our community."

The 250,000 b/d crude refinery will process domestically produced light, sweet shale (WTL and WTC) and light, sweet crudes (WTI) into low carbon transportation fuels by utilizing advanced technologies with a zero-carbon footprint.

The refinery project will generate and consume hydrogen as a fuel source, capture and sequester carbon dioxide emissions, generate and consume electricity from waste heat, geothermal, and renewable assets, produce water from waste vapor streams, and recycle and repurpose wastewater.

As a result, 95% of greenhouse gas emissions will be reduced or eliminated, water production and consumption will be reduced by 90% with 80% being recycled and repurposed, 100% renewable electricity will be consumed, 98% of fugitive emissions will be eliminated, and the land footprint will be reduced by 65%.

Cushing, known as the “Pipeline Crossroads of the World” for crude oil, is home to approximately 100 million barrels of storage in the tank farms surrounding the community.

The project, announced Wednesday, is anticipated to create over 400 full-time jobs. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2024 and operations are expected to begin in 2027.

-END-
GREAT NEWS, in more ways than one! Obviously GOOD JOBS, and money into the local economy, but also more refining capasity in the US. The Confederate States in 1861 were so wealthy they didn't need to manufacture anything, they could just buy it!! By 1862, they could no longer buy anything, due to blockades, and they still didn't have the facilities, equipment, or know how, to manufacture it! I looked up Southern Rock Energy Partners. Their HQ is in El Campo TX. but I don't have a clue who the money behind them is? I hope it's not Communist China, I have heard rumors they are buying up land in this area as well? I retired from Sun Refinery in Tulsa, 20 years ago, and it has been 46 years since a new refinery was built in the US, that was the Marathon Refinery in Grayville LA, in 1977, with an initial capasity of 200,000 bpd, it has since been increased to 585,00 bpd! Great news for the local, and state, economy, and for national security!!! This new efficient Refinery will be located on American soil, close to the largest pipeline termanal in the world, no matter what else happens!

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GREAT NEWS, in more ways than one! Obviously GOOD JOBS, and money into the local economy, but also more refining capasity in the US. The Confederate States in 1861 were so wealthy they didn't need to manufacture anything, they could just buy it!! By 1862, they could no longer buy anything, due to blockades, and they still didn't have the facilities, equipment, or know how, to manufacture it! I looked up Southern Rock Energy Partners. Their HQ is in El Campo TX. but I don't have a clue who the money behind them is? I hope it's not Communist China, I have heard rumors they are buying up land in this area as well? I retired from Sun Refinery in Tulsa, 20 years ago, and it has been 46 years since a new refinery was built in the US, that was the Marathon Refinery in Grayville LA, in 1977, with an initial capasity of 200,000 bpd, it has since been increased to 585,00 bpd! Great news for the local, and state, economy, and for national security!!! This new efficient Refinery will be located on American soil, close to the largest pipeline termanal in the world, no matter what else happens!
I have worked in that refinery a few times in Tulsa parts of are probably the same as when you were there

Latest posts

Top Bottom