New pipe fence - paint or leave rusty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to build 600' of pipe and no climb wire fence and have the same question. I really like a white fence but hate the rust bleeding through. My wife says go black, but I'm considering the red oxide. It has kind of a red cedar look to me.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm about to build 600' of pipe and no climb wire fence and have the same question. I really like a white fence but hate the rust bleeding through. My wife says go black, but I'm considering the red oxide. It has kind of a red cedar look to me.
I believe everything metal should be one of two colors, farmhouse red and farmhouse black.

1678016459419.png

1678016545818.png

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The disparity of recommended paint types in the thread is interesting. I talked to a friend who does a lot of commercial construction, asking what they use for outdoor steel, he said what they've found to work best is latex house paint. Now, that's hard to believe.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How old are you? How thick poles?
We put in drill stem poles, H braces and corners when I was a kid. I was the water boy. The stems were plated on bottom and top, then painted. 55 years and no telling how long they will stand. Paint lasted decently 20 years. Probably some cancer filled asbestos thick silver paint, it was thick like cornbread batter
I cut some drill stem a couple days ago to use for culvert. That stuff is thick-walled. I didn't measure it but it looked like 3/8".

Latest posts

Top Bottom