Next up: Color Case Hardening.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recently picked up three firearms from Uberti, two 1873 SAA's and an 1873 lever action since we're now all hopelessly hooked on cowboy action shootin. While I really like actions on these guns (they've all been 'slicked up'), the chemical case colors leave are of lower quality than what you would get with a true color case hardening process.

Which got me thinking "how hard can color case hardening be?"

So, this is gong to be my next project. I plan on making my own bone charcoal (bovine and deer) to mix with wood charcoal. Right now, the only thing I'm missing is a furnace

Anyone else ever try Color Case Hardening?

I'd love to hear some tips/tricks and advice!

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No tips or tricks but I cant wait to see your results. I thought the '73 Uberti's were still done with real color case hardening and not acid? Are you going to coat them afterwards to protect the finish? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Turnbull coats theirs with something to help protect the finish? I want a 1911 with a Royal Blue frame and case hardened slide.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not sure how to protect the finish or even if a protectant is needed. The Ubertis are case hardened, but the color is derived by acid. Apparently the choice to do it this way was based on cost. I can understand that.

The 1911 you mention sounds like it would be stunning!

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would watch lotts of YOUTUBE vids to start. Had a friend who was no dummy warp a marlin receiver . the end of his case hardening.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep, this process is not for the faint of heart for sure! My plans are to use some steel plate for experimentation to get charcoal mixes right, and work with temps and times and learn about things like warpage.

It's a rare process these days and usually reserved for high dollar guns or fine restorations. Very few smiths out there have the capabilities (and even fewer the tools) to do this. I can substantiate the cost since I can use the furnace for annealing and hardening.

Can you tell gunsmithing techniques fascinate me? LOL. I plan on attending a few tech school classes in the near future, just not sure where. The technical side of it fits me perfectly.

Soon, checkering. I'm not artistic enough to do engraving so that will be one skill I will probably elude me.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, this process is not for the faint of heart for sure! My plans are to use some steel plate for experimentation to get charcoal mixes right, and work with temps and times and learn about things like warpage.

It's a rare process these days and usually reserved for high dollar guns or fine restorations. Very few smiths out there have the capabilities (and even fewer the tools) to do this. I can substantiate the cost since I can use the furnace for annealing and hardening.

Can you tell gunsmithing techniques fascinate me? LOL. I plan on attending a few tech school classes in the near future, just not sure where. The technical side of it fits me perfectly.

Soon, checkering. I'm not artistic enough to do engraving so that will be one skill I will probably elude me.

Canadian valley technical

Latest posts

Top Bottom