Night sights and laser...redundant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the merits of having both on one handgun?

Seems like NS would not be too necessary if you've got the laser?

Discuss please.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lasers can be hard to pick up on dark/non-reflective backgrounds but night sights can always be seen. Lasers are nice for when you can't align your eye, sights and target up all at the same time though (awkward shooting positions).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the merits of having both on one handgun?

Seems like NS would not be too necessary if you've got the laser?

Discuss please.

This line of thinking is exactly why I don't own a gun with a laser on it anymore - lasers are powered by batteries - and batteries die. If you're practicing with (or depending on having) the laser to do all the work of sighting a pistol/rifle, you're asking for trouble when it fails.

I caught myself using the CTC on my J-frame and pretty much turned it off and never turned it on again.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My comment about lasers is when my streamlight M6 is attacthed to my pistols the point of aim changes at differant distances. i have it matched with the sights at about fifteen yards but at differant distances it doesnt match the sights.

I have a sig STL-900L laser/light combo too and it does the same thing too but not as bad. maybe because the laser is up closer to the barrel.

I like night sites as i just get a good feeling looking over at night and seeing that beautiful green glow :)

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Lasermax on my SIG (which has night sights) and although I haven't had to use it in a tactical or defense situation, I totally agree with what others have said about the awkward shooting situations. I never really practice with it and it's just a center of mass type accuracy anyway. It is nice to know however, should I need it, I can flip it on and know that's where my bullet is going to hit no matter how I'm holding the gun and I don't have to aim at all. I like that it doesn't change the appearance or weight of the gun at all. It's like it's not there until I might need it.

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like having both & train w/ both . I change the laser batterys on a schedual so they are allways good when there needed.For the one time that the laser doesnt work I am covered w/ the night sights.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just like them, they are fun, iv had one on my 9mm breta. for abot 7 yrs but my other 9mm dont, and i think it really cool, (when its built into it and not in the way) but these guys are a lot more knowledgable about firearms than me but everyone has a comment and "thats what make the world go around" looks like theres pros and cons...

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lasers are a waste of money. Had a laser max on my glock 32. Its just a gimmick, spend the money on night sights and extra ammo to practice. I will never waste my money again on a laser, other than the one my dog likes to chase around that $5 at Wally. Flame away.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think lasers are ok and useful in certain circumstances, but most shooting disciplines preach front sight focus which I find hard to do if looking for a dot downrange.

Latest posts

Top Bottom