o/u or semi auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hld3rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger M77 .243 with a leupold vari-x-III 6.5-20 that I am going to sell to get a shotgun. I have never owned a shotgun but am going to be doing a lot of pheasant and goose hunting with my boss. He has advised me to get a o/u because of less problems but others are saying I should get a semi auto. Let me know what you think. Also let me know what guns are good for goose and pheasant. o/u or semi auto. THANKS

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot my 20 ga o/u for everything. Everyone else in my family shoots semi auto. I even pheasant hunted and duck and goose hunt with my 20 ga o/u. If your a good shot, an o/u is all you'll need. I honestly think my o/u has made me a better shot

Antichrome

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but those 2 applications are very different and really call for 2 different guns.
Pheasant hunting guns get carried a lot and shot very little. Shorter barrels and 2 different chokes to choose from would be nice. (I'm a dyed in the wool over/under guy)
But goose hunting usually involves sitting in blind, not walking. Long barreled, heavy weight guns that handle magnum loads would prob be the ticket.
I doubt you'd find an o/u to cover both of these bases.
Theres probably several semiautos that would be good enough at both sports.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i agree with antichrome.

the design specs on a remington 1100 and 1187 and guns like this model is because it is an all around gun. size of gun fits standard size man and 28" barrell is common because it works for a lot of diff hunting applications.

for a lot of guys this is the type of gun they have carried for years and they like it.

a semi will absort more recoil than an o/u. for both pheasant and duck you COULD shoot heavier loads so the semi would beat you up less. whether you need heavier loads or not is debateable but a lot of guys to shoot heavies for duck.

if you do't shoot much, recoil can cause problems which simply mean you will miss.

a lighter gun is handy when walking all day shooting pheasant. this same gun will work in a duck blind.

a heavy gun will really wear you out hunting pheasant and your arms will be so tired and heavy you will hurt and it will be hard to hit the birds. but it will be a good swinger in a duck blind.

now if your are young and pretty strong that is a diff story.

but remember, you do not have to stay with the first shotgun you buy. buy it try it trade it. u will learn a lot.
a good semi can usually be bought for less than a good o/u.

DORR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like pro business said, a good autoloader is cheaper than a good o/u. There are a lot of good, versatile autos to choose from. To be honest you could hunt both with a pump gun, though the pride of ownership is not as great.

Give us an idea of your price point and we can give you an idea of what you're looking at in each type of shotgun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunting for about 40+ years now for upland game, I don't worry too much ab out a pound or two when pheasant or quail hunting. My go-to shotgun is an OU Browning Citori upland with 24" barrels.
2 3/4 " only, but I can put 1 5/8 ounce turkey loads thru it or #8 shot for quail. Just screw in another choke. Never had a turkey do anything more than Flop, flop. I love that gun.
The 1100 is reserved for a quail only hunt, as it has a 19 1/8" barrel with a cylinder bore.

If you feel a 3" shell is needed, the 11-87 would be the gun to look at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom