Obama Refers to Israel Concern Over Iran as 'Noise'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now this makes me nervous. He should not treat ANY of our Allies with this contempt. I don't care what ally it is.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-refers-israel-concern-over-iran-noise_652967.html

In an interview to air tonight on CBS's 60 Minutes, President Barack Obama will refer to Israel's concern over Iran's march toward a nuclear program as "noise."When it comes to our national security decisions -- any pressure that I feel is simply to do what's right for the American people. And I am going to block out -- any noise that's out there," Obama says, according to AFP.

UPDATE: Here's the transcript:

STEVE KROFT: "How much pressure have you been getting from Prime Minister Netanyahu to make up your mind to use military force in Iran?"

PRESIDENT OBAMA: "Well—look, I have conversations with Prime Minister Netanyahu all the time. And I understand and share Prime Minister Netanyahu's insistence that Iran should not obtain a nuclear weapon, because it would threaten us, it would threaten Israel, and it would threaten the world and kick off a nuclear arms race."

STEVE KROFT: "You’re saying, you don't feel any pressure from Prime Minister Netanyahu in the middle of a campaign to try and get you to change your policy and draw a line in the sand? You don’t feel any pressure?"

PRESIDENT OBAMA: "When it comes to our national security decisions—any pressure that I feel is simply to do what's right for the American people. And I am going to block out—any noise that's out there. Now I feel an obligation, not pressure but obligation, to make sure that we're in close consultation with the Israelis—on these issues. Because it affects them deeply. They're one of our closest allies in the region. And we’ve got an Iranian regime that has said horrible things that directly threaten Israel’s existence."

AFP also reports that Obama will say that "he understands and agrees with Netanyahu's insistence that Iran not be allowed to obtain nuclear weapons as this would threaten both countries, the world in general, and kick off an arms race."

But, as the article points out, Obama will not be meeting with Netanyahu this week during the United Nations General Assembly.

Romney, who also is interviewed on 60 Minutes tonight, will say, that Obama not meeting with Netanyahu "is a mistake and sends a message throughout the Middle East that somehow we distance ourselves from our friends and I think the exact opposite approach is what's necessary."

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is truly a moron. I am going to run for president next time. It's too late for me to get my name out there now.

Me and my chronies couldn't possibly be any worse than the current administration.

carry guy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really have no idea of what has upset you so much in this situation. The Israelis stole nuclear secrets via the Rosenbergs in the 1950s. The Israeli's have honest to god nuclear weaponry, including missiles. It is generally estimated that they have four hundred warheads to be delivered by either submarine, icbm, or air force. The Israeli government was never made a party to the Nuclear Non-Prolliferation treaty.

Netanyahu was making this same speech, almost verbatim, twenty years ago. Israel may be at risk;
however, their Prime Mininister has cried wolf all too often.

Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Arms Non - Proliferation Agreement. Israel never deigned to sign on.

The only occasion of the United States Navy being put at risk in Mediterranian waters was the case of the U.S.S. Liberty in 1967, which was attacked by the Israeli Navy. Thirty-four U.S. servicemen men were killed in the attack. The story was dutifully covered up by the mainstream U.S. media.

So let's see. The U.S. has about thirty-five military bases surrounding Iran. Some of those will undoubtedly have nuclear capability. We also have a nuclear armada positioned to keep the Straits of Hormuz open, including vesels from the British and French fleets. We also have Israel, with no shortage of nuclear bombs mounted upon missiles'

Yet, you want to whine about Iran. A place that was overthrown after a democratic election in 1953. A place where the Shaw was overthrown in 1976 and magically, the Ayotollah Khomeini was given power (Guess the CIA had nothing to do with that. After all, they stay out of soooo much).

So now, during a Presidential election year we have people upset that we are not blowing up and occupying Iran based on our own fears. It is implied that we "owe" nukes on Iran for our ""ally" Israel.

Yeah, whatever. Play into the hands that bite you however much you want. As for me, I have a real world to deal with. And I'm not ready to put the claims of Israel or Iran over the right of citizens at home to stay the hell out of what shouldn't concern us.
There's already been more than enough deaths of brave servicemen and servicewomen that have been sadly had to be consecrated on the altar of phony politics.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And the US has spied on Israel, according to many the Liberty was spying, passing the info to the Brits who then passed it to the Arabs.
While Israel is said to have nukes, there is no proof at all, not even of a nuclear bomb test. So far as I know, no country has developed a nuclear bomb without test. Israel still denies having nuclear bombs.

And no, no-one really wants Iran or any other country nuked. The effects would cause problems worldwide.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He does not have to love Israel, he has to try and prevent a war that could get out of hand enough that we have to get involved on a large scale.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Israel still denies having nuclear bombs.

And Iran denies that they are trying to build any – and many agree, even in Israel.

But Iran did announce in January of this year that they wanted to trade oil in currency other than the U.S. dollar – there’s your real reason for ginning up an attack on Iran; the “nuke” excuse is just cover for it. Saddam Hussein wanted to trade oil in Euros, and Gaddaffi was going to trade oil in gold.....coincidence as to what is happening to these oil-producing nations when they try to trade their oil in alternative currencies? Undermining the petro-dollar will collapse the United State’s economy, and end our dominance we use by using our reserve currency as a means of control.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My question is, why should we get involved in these spats between 2 groups of crazy middle easterners? The fact that we have "picked sides" in this dispute is one of the major reasons we are in so much trouble in that region right now. We used to be on very good terms with the middle eastern countries until we helped a group of people take over part of the region, in essence, because their ancestors lived there in ancient times. The whole thing is insane. We just need to sit back, trade with everybody, and let it be known that if any of the attack us, we will wipe them off the map. The leaders of Iran are full of bluster, but when it comes down to it, they realize that an attack on the U.S. would mean their country's utter annihilation, and for that reason they will never actually attack us or back such an attack. The only time their forces ever attacked us was when we got in the middle of a situation in Lebanon that was none of our business. I think we can call the score more than even on that account, since our Navy killed a couple hundred of their civilians on that airliner that was accidentally shot down back in the 80s, and for those untold thousands of their soldiers that were killed by the chemical weapons that we gave to Saddam during the Iran-Iraq war.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom