Oklahoma ranked 30th best state for Gun owners by G&A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2015/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=sportsmanchannel&utm_content=gunsandammo

30. Oklahoma

Oklahoma’s self-defense statute got a boost in 2014 when Gov. Mary Fallin signed legislation allowing the use of deadly force to defend any person, not just a family member. The state has a “shall issue” permit system and recognizes permits from all other states. Oklahoma gets max points in the NFA category, as CLEOs must sign for transfers within 15 days, preventing de facto bans in certain municipalities. Oklahoma places no restrictions on tactical-looking firearms or magazines

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reddest state of all that didn't carry a single county majority for Obama is 30?

30. Oklahoma

Oklahoma’s self-defense statute got a boost in 2014 when Gov. Mary Fallin signed legislation allowing the use of deadly force to defend any person, not just a family member. The state has a “shall issue” permit system and recognizes permits from all other states. Oklahoma gets max points in the NFA category, as CLEOs must sign for transfers within 15 days, preventing de facto bans in certain municipalities. Oklahoma places no restrictions on tactical-looking firearms or magazines

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair, there are 30-some odd states that have permitless open carry, whereas OK does not... OK's mandatory LEO notification and list of prohibited places are stricter than many other states, and there is a really ignorant prohibition on armor piercing ammo that has pretty much zero legal effect. Still, I would think OK's full reciprocity (even to Constitutional Carry states), solid self defense laws, lack of restrictions on private sales, statewide municipal preemption, lack of regulation of short barrels, suppressors, and full autos beyond NFA requirements, and mandatory CLEO NFA signatures would count for more than 30th place.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have issues with this ranking myself. The last time I checked, Arizona didn't have stand-your-ground protection. I keep remembering the guy who was attacked on the trail by the dog, then attacked by the owner. The prosecutor convinced the jury that the victim could have retreated. The case was overturned on appeal after the victim had served several years in prison.

And, living in Missouri I know for a fact that Missouri has no stand-your-ground statute nor any self-defense immunity protection. God help you if you have to defend yourself in Jackson County or St. Louis. Prosecutors in both places salivate at the thought of getting one of us in their clutches.

In all of Oklahoma's 77 counties I have no doubt that if I behave appropriately, the cops and prosecutors will too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom