One day black bear season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thought on the # of bears taken, is that last season, it was almost into the season before they announced there was even going to be a season. People didn't know that much about bear hunting. This season, they have had a year to prepare, and get ready. I wouldn't be suprised that 90% of those killed were on private ground where baiting is legal.
I would be really interested in seeing the stats.

longbow hunters freaked out at the sight of a compound bow when they came out, wringing their hands in abject terror that all deer hunting was over as we know it because compounds are so much more accurate, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.:lmfao:

rlt7272 If I remember right, there were alot of traditional muzzle loader hunters where were pissed when the inlines started popping up.

Muzzleloaders with the balistics of a highpower rifle havent elimiated the deer population and I highly doubt that crossbow will either. :thumbup3:

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then buy a damn crossbow. I don't understand the prejudice against crossbow hunters. They are legal for you to use as well. It's not like only new hunters can use them, every bowhunter can switch if they like. And it's not as easy as gun hunting. you still have to have them in range. Good lord you guys act like we are taking your season away.

Thank You!!

I am sick of the whining people who CHOOSE to limit themselves and then complain when others don't make the same choice.

My Excalibur crossbow is more "primitive" and/or "traditional" than your Matthews!

Crossbows are legal, inline muzzleloaders with scopes are legal.......get over it!

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could it be the reason so many bears were killed with crossbows is because so many bowhunters have switched to them? I know that at least half of the guys I know have made the switch, and two of them came to work today telling of how they got busted trying to position for a shot.
Shooting a crossbow is NOT going to make you a better hunter. I personally think there cumbersome unless you've got the ideal location where swinging them around for a shot isn't a problem. I myself will stick with a bow, but to each his own.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the big point we're missing here is the fact that 31 bears were killed on opening day. This tells me that the population is far greater than the "experts" think it is. I hunt in Sequoyah county and we definately have a bear problem, we've had several show up on the trail cameras last month at all hours of the day and night, which tends to make you a little uncomfortable walking to your stand before daylight or leaving after dark, plus they've torn up 2 feeders. I have a friend who hunts just east of Stillwell in Adair county and they've been dealing with bears for the last ten years.
I think it's time to raise the "quota", and broaden the area that's hunted along the eastern side of the state. Arkansas has had a bear season for years now, and crossbows are legal, and their population is thriving.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this is ridiculous! The wildlife department has us arguing about crossbows rather than focusing on the fact that 31 bears were killed in ONE day.Regardless of the means by which they were taken, the number of the quota is obviously too low for the population that exists.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the big point we're missing here is the fact that 31 bears were killed on opening day. This tells me that the population is far greater than the "experts" think it is. I hunt in Sequoyah county and we definately have a bear problem, we've had several show up on the trail cameras last month at all hours of the day and night, which tends to make you a little uncomfortable walking to your stand before daylight or leaving after dark, plus they've torn up 2 feeders. I have a friend who hunts just east of Stillwell in Adair county and they've been dealing with bears for the last ten years.
I think it's time to raise the "quota", and broaden the area that's hunted along the eastern side of the state. Arkansas has had a bear season for years now, and crossbows are legal, and their population is thriving.

You have a bear "problem"? Seeing bears on trail cameras makes them a problem? Unless they are knocking over your garbage cans or something, they are a beautiful creature and certainly not a "problem" just by existing. I have no more fear of a black bear than I do a pig or rattlesnake. Unless backed in a corner or you get between a sow and her cub, they are going to bolt 97.6% of the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom