Opinions on Traditions .50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do any of you have a Traditions .50 cal muzzleloader? These can be bought for about $150 w/ a scope. Do you have good or bad experiences with them? Can you shoot out to 100 yards?

Of course, I'd like to buy a TC Encore w/ .50 & .270, then buy a scope or two and the bill runs up to a grad pretty quickly. That won't be happening any time too soon.

Thanks,
Dreaming Man

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had one before (actually two), and they shot pretty well - I mean, it did aroudnd 4" at 100 yards, which is pretty darned respectable.

Do not shoot more than about 120 gr of Pyrodex/BP, and do not shoot more than 100 gr of 777 in the spanish made gun (CVS, Traditions), to be on the safe side - supposedly some of them go boom (in a bad way) with 'magnum' charges.

Walmart had these for $117 last couple of years, but that was without the scope. You've got to clean them real good, or they'll rust up quickly, not being stainless, but pretty good deal for the $$, I think.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a traditions pursuit ML. I have had some mixed reviews about it. The gun has always shot great. However, I've broken the cheap fiber optic sight and last weekend the ram rod broke.

I called them and they said they are aluminum and it happens. They did send me a new one for $18 shipped, so not too bad. Also, I had lost my hammer extender and they sent me a new one for free. They have really good customer service. I just wish that the extras were a little more sturdy. Either way, the gun shoots great. I hope that helps.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Traditions Kentucky rifle I don't like it, if it wasn't a gift I would have sold it by now I went to wal-mart and picked up a cva with a scope. it shoots great with hornady bullets I have killed a few deer over 200 yards with it and it is light and easy to clean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom