Not much love for the 35's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Throughout the years I have a special place in my heart for uncommon or rarer cartridges. Of course I have some of the most popular calibers like 223/5.56, 9mm, 308 Win and 270 Win, but the less popular traditional workhorses are just intriguing to me. I have noticed a great love for the 35 calibers but almost no new production rifles produced in them. It seems like the 35's really never took off but performance wise within practical hunting distances (to me 300 yards max) are awesome. Larger frontal area than 30 cal may actually matter to some, or the heavier bullets to brings "knockdown" power on game could be the other factor. To me the 35 cals sit in the cool factor that just works. I have a Marlin 35 Remington that in my personal opinion gives me what a 30-30 can do but better within the same platform. I have a 35 Whelen that gives me almost 338 Win Mag performance with slightly less recoil and traditional cool factor. Other 35's just gets my goat like the 358 Win which to me sounds almost perfectly balanced in most cases. The 350 Remington Magnum being one of the first if not first short mags, but handy in the Remington 600 rifle. The 358 Norma mag laying down the power that can take anything in North America. Why hasn't the 35 cals been more popular? It doesn't seem like any companies are trying to come out with something modern except maybe the 350 Legend which surprisingly took off. I would love to see a 358 Weatherby, 35 Nosler, 358 PRC or even a 358 Blackout but I see these being passed by. What do you think about the 35's? What 35's do you own?

(P.S a 358-378 Weatherby Mag should have been standard commercial loading by Weatherby)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .35 lever guns were and are still fairly popular back on the eastern seaboard states where the heavily wooded hunting areas rarely offer more than a 50 yard shot.
I have a buddy that moved from Georgia to Ponca years ago. When he got here, his safe was full of lever and bolt .35 cal guns. It was his favorite. He found out quickly why they don't fly in the Western and midwestern states.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say much for the 35's but I'm sure as heck happy that you had that 375 marlin. I dig that bad boy. I was showing it off to a friend of mine this evening actually.

I like weird stuff. I'm talking to a manufacturer about buying something now to get on an 8 month wait for what will likely be a very weird caliber. But fun.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Throughout the years I have a special place in my heart for uncommon or rarer cartridges. Of course I have some of the most popular calibers like 223/5.56, 9mm, 308 Win and 270 Win, but the less popular traditional workhorses are just intriguing to me. I have noticed a great love for the 35 calibers but almost no new production rifles produced in them. It seems like the 35's really never took off but performance wise within practical hunting distances (to me 300 yards max) are awesome. Larger frontal area than 30 cal may actually matter to some, or the heavier bullets to brings "knockdown" power on game could be the other factor. To me the 35 cals sit in the cool factor that just works. I have a Marlin 35 Remington that in my personal opinion gives me what a 30-30 can do but better within the same platform. I have a 35 Whelen that gives me almost 338 Win Mag performance with slightly less recoil and traditional cool factor. Other 35's just gets my goat like the 358 Win which to me sounds almost perfectly balanced in most cases. The 350 Remington Magnum being one of the first if not first short mags, but handy in the Remington 600 rifle. The 358 Norma mag laying down the power that can take anything in North America. Why hasn't the 35 cals been more popular? It doesn't seem like any companies are trying to come out with something modern except maybe the 350 Legend which surprisingly took off. I would love to see a 358 Weatherby, 35 Nosler, 358 PRC or even a 358 Blackout but I see these being passed by. What do you think about the 35's? What 35's do you own?

(P.S a 358-378 Weatherby Mag should have been standard commercial loading by Weatherby)
They made a “ 358 blackout”, they just named it .350 legend because they thought that was a much cooler name- and its probably for every .300 blk purpose than .300.. ( though i would have liked to see .357 bullets rather than .355..)

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather had a pump rifle in 35 Remington,,,
If I was a very good boy on a weekend,,,
He would let me shoot it.

I have no idea if it was a "good" rifle or not,,,
I was just enamored with it's action.

Although I could barely lift the dang thing,,,
And it kicked my skinny arse badly.

Aarond

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the 35 cal stuff too, always have, but I think it’s uncommon because .30 cal has been so successful and is so common. Hard to compete with something wildly successful and notoriously effective. Almost everyone I know has a 308 gun, or multiple of them. Agree with the cool factor on the 35 cal, cool factor is very high.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to be a troll here,,,
But wasn't the 35 Remington Cartridge,,,
Basically a .357 Magnum cartridge on steroids?

I own a .357 Magnum H&H single-shot rifle,,,
Isn't it just about what the .35 Remmie was?

I would hunt deer with it,,,
If I could get within 50-75 yards of them.

From experience I can tell you,,,
It makes armadillos explode.

Aarond

User_3155

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to be a troll here,,,
But wasn't the 35 Remington Cartridge,,,
Basically a .357 Magnum cartridge on steroids?

I own a .357 Magnum H&H single-shot rifle,,,
Isn't it just about what the .35 Remmie was?
Two totally different animals :

Average feet / sec.

. 35 Remington 2120
.357 Magnum 1294

Average Energy

.35 Remington 1876
.357 Magnum 528

Latest posts

Top Bottom