Opportunity knocked, and I buckled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8:30 this morning the wind was so bad I couldn't hold steady aim on the tree trunk in front of me. I figured I might as well get down, if something walks out I won't be able to get a shot anyway.
So I creep a 1/4 mile or so in each direction of my stand that will let me look upwind without getting busted. I make it back to the stand and decide to check the persimmon patch that is directly north of me down wind from my stand about 1/2 a mile.
I'm not 50 yards from my stand and I jump 2 good bucks. I get my rifle up and bleeted and the bigger one stops, broadside, about 20 yards.
I've got my scope turned down to 5 already, on a 3-9 power, but I cant find him. When I finally get crosshairs on him I can only see body, no legs, no neck, just body. Just when I get ready to squeeze one off he blows and bolts. I'm on him but can't get a shot in the 3 steps it took him to be on the other side of the trees.
I circled around where I thought they were headed, and jumped him again about 75 yards through the trees. I walked some more but that was the end.
Couple questions here. Why would 2 mature bucks be running together this late in the season? How long should I wait before I go back in there, if any?
I can't be positive, but I think it was these 2. I've got pictures of them together pretty regularly.
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_MDGC0102.jpg

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_MDGC0106_1.jpg

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this may not be true in all instances... but I have seen them not affected by being jumped.

The other day I left my stand to go get some lunch at 10:45...jumped a buck in some thick trees and he ran about 40 yards. I go eat my lunch and get back to the land at about 1:45 or 2:00. I jumped him at the EXACT same spot, I didn't expect it cause I figured he wouldn't come back after being scared off.

The second time he ran like 10 yards and stopped. I could see everything of him except where I was wanting to shoot. So I slowly left and went to the stand. After debating for 2 hours if I should have stayed there and waited for him to come back a third time, I grunted about 3 times and he came charging in. He sounded like he was either at the same spot or pretty close when he came running in.

I don't think they necessarily leave the area if it isn't something super threatening. I figure they get spooked by cows, coyotes, and such so they don't think nothing of it.

I'd get back in there... They may still be in the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom