Optics for 300 blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
OK, first I am not really into shooting rifles, other than 22. I am putting together an AR in 300 blackout. I have a Ruger American in the same caliber with a Nikon P300 on it. What does everyone suggest for my AR?
This rifle will only be used at the range or for home defense.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you absolutely want an optic over irons, I'd start with a quality Aimpoint red dot.

Speed and accuracy at home defense ranges is outstanding.

ParatusForty-Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you absolutely want an optic over irons, I'd start with a quality Aimpoint red dot.

Speed and accuracy at home defense ranges is outstanding.

This. For an HD gun or range plinker, you don't need magnification...especially for an HD gun. If it's going to be set aside for that role, you should also be thinking about a quality, high output light for PID'ing what/whomever is in your house.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am putting together an AR in 300 blackout. This rifle will only be used at the range or for home defense.
When I had the same question a knowledgeable friend recommended the Aimpoint PRO for a few reasons - not the least of which is that it can be left on for extended periods without fear of running the batteries down, and without having to worry about finding and fumbling with a switch in the dark. After having it for some time will concur that the recommendation was spot on.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned above, a red dot will suffice for what you want. If you want an actual scope, I've got a Burris Tac-30 that I love for both HD and range/hunting. It is a true 1 - 4 power, so for HD, it stays on 1X and I can easily sweep a room with both eyes open. The reticle is a black circle with aim points but with a touch of the button, it is a red, illuminated circle. The 4X is great for range time or in the field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom