Own a piece of history!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I spoke with Sig CS earlier, they couldn't provide any details about how many pistols would be available. The rep thought that the number would be in the thousands though. Below is text copied from an email that I received after speaking with them over the phone. I also called Wilshire this morning and spoke with someone named Kyle. They will be placing an order, but don't have any idea how many pistols that they will be able to reserve. Street price from them is likely going to be mid-to-high $700 range + tax.

All details regarding the M17 military surplus pistols can be found here:

https://www.sigsauer.com/m17-surplus/?utm_campaign=M17_Surplus&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua.

We have shipped these pistols to distributors and Elite dealers and we have included a Dealer locator tool at the bottom of the information page. Please use this tool to locate a dealer in your area who can place an order if they have not already. We do not sell firearms directly to consumers. The MSRP is $843, but this is only our suggested price and pricing will vary from dealer to dealer.

I am curious if Sig will be providing tools to be able to remove the optic plate. From what I've read, it and the backplate require specialized tools that were only available to unit armorers.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks @coolhandluke for the info on these. I think owning one of these would be pretty cool. Saw a brand new one on Armslist the other day but for the life of me I can't remember what the price was and I hate to speculate.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks @coolhandluke for the info on these. I think owning one of these would be pretty cool. Saw a brand new one on Armslist the other day but for the life of me I can't remember what the price was and I hate to speculate.

Not a problem Rocky. A new commercial M17 runs around $600 - $650 so the Army return pistols will actually cost more. The price is a bit of a screw job considering that fact, but I'd still like to have one due to the provenance. Getting the opportunity to purchase a USGI issued service pistol doesn't come up that often. I will likely miss the boat on the CMP 1911's so this may have to be a consolation prize.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wilshire ended up receiving only 10 pistols which is a shockingly low number considering that they are an elite dealer. All are sold, but I thankfully lucked into one.

Vr3MUYZh.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Honest question here and trying to gain some insight. Not trying to be a dick.

Can you guys explain the appeal of these and why some have a strong desire to own one?

Maybe it's because I've never really been into military weapons much or Sig, that I'm not understanding why these guns are a big deal.

I know of a guy that paid over $1100 for one of these when they first came out.

I just don't get it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the x-compacts much better than the regular model, but my guess is because they are real mil surplus. Collectible value? Pride of ownership? Just coz? For @coolhandluke; curious about the tools? Did they come with it?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honest question here and trying to gain some insight. Not trying to be a dick.

Can you guys explain the appeal of these and why some have a strong desire to own one?

Maybe it's because I've never really been into military weapons much or Sig, that I'm not understanding why these guns are a big deal.

I know of a guy that paid over $1100 for one of these when they first came out.

I just don't get it.

Unless you specifically want a firearm that was issued by US military, there is no point in purchasing one over a commercial M17.

I specifically wanted a pistol with that provenance so I was willing to pay the additional cost. The opportunities to purchase a USGI service weapon are few and far between. Aside from the recent CMP release, I believe that it's been since the 60's since pistols were made available on any large scale to the general public. There were a small batch of USMC M45's that were returned to Colt due to the substandard cerakote finish a few years back. IIRC, original retail was $800 - $1300 depending on the source. Now they are bringing upwards of $5000.

I like the x-compacts much better than the regular model, but my guess is because they are real mil surplus. Collectible value? Pride of ownership? Just coz? For @coolhandluke; curious about the tools? Did they come with it?

As far as I can tell, no special armorers tool is needed. They look like regular torx head pattern screws. I'm assuming that the pistols that required the tool were likely the first pistols that were submitted for testing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom