Paint and Body.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a fair knowledge but not much on newer foreign stuff. Maybe I can answer your questions.
R

If a truck is starting to lose its clear coat, does it mean the entire truck needs re clear coated?

Truck Body is perfect, paint is fully intact. Just has a three spots that are losing the clear coating.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's basecoat/clearcoat 2K paint system it's probably a good idea to repaint the whole thing. The basecoat (colored coat) chemically reacts with the clearcoat put on top of it. It becomes one in a manner of speaking. Basecoat will never cure completely unless that clearcoat is put on top in the required time interval (usually within 24 hours).

I took a 2 year autobody program in high school to include going through Du Pont and PPG finishing programs, but also was also working in aerospace finishing with all manner of epoxy aircraft paints long after that. Also have painted a few cars and motorcycles.
:thumb:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's basecoat/clearcoat 2K paint system it's probably a good idea to repaint the whole thing. The basecoat (colored coat) chemically reacts with the clearcoat put on top of it. It becomes one in a manner of speaking. Basecoat will never cure completely unless that clearcoat is put on top in the required time interval (usually within 24 hours).

I took a 2 year autobody program in high school to include going through Du Pont and PPG finishing programs, but also was also working in aerospace finishing with all manner of epoxy aircraft paints long after that. Also have painted a few cars and motorcycles.
:thumb:

I thought that. But I was in Auto/Diesel School. I knew some members here had to have the knowledge and possibly worked in that career field. Thanks!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a truck is starting to lose its clear coat, does it mean the entire truck needs re clear coated?
Re-clearcoat the whole truck? No. Re-clearcoat the whole panel? It depends on how anal you are about it.

My old boss got a rock chip in the paint on his car, so he tried his hand at repairing it himself, but he could never get the transition blended to his satisfaction (it looked OK, but he could still feel the transition from the original paint/clearcoat to the new), so he took it to a trusted body shop. They told him that you just can't get that transition perfect on clearcoat finishes, so they always re-clear the entire panel. (I don't think they said repaint, but it has been about a decade, and I can no longer ask him any questions.)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Re-clearcoat the whole truck? No. Re-clearcoat the whole panel? It depends on how anal you are about it.

My old boss got a rock chip in the paint on his car, so he tried his hand at repairing it himself, but he could never get the transition blended to his satisfaction (it looked OK, but he could still feel the transition from the original paint/clearcoat to the new), so he took it to a trusted body shop. They told him that you just can't get that transition perfect on clearcoat finishes, so they always re-clear the entire panel. (I don't think they said repaint, but it has been about a decade, and I can no longer ask him any questions.)
It very difficult if not impossible to blend clearcoat finishes like we could when we were spraying acrylic lacquer and enamels paints. It's repaint the entire panel in a repair usually. Back in the day you could blend them and never know it was done.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one ton 4 door has the issue along the top edge of two doors on same side, as well as on top of the same side front fender and same side rear dually fender.

I have never had an auto painted in my life. Three trucks were hit that I owned, but the at fault peoples insurance bought me a new truck.

Wonder what a complete new exterior paint job on a Dodge Dually 4 door long bed cost?

Guestimates anyone?

SNGLCTMN

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
They have the answers
But if parts of it are peeling then it's going to give you problems in other areas especially if paint is fading or faded. Late 90s clear coat on multiple manufacturers have been a big problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom