Paint and Body.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one ton 4 door has the issue along the top edge of two doors on same side, as well as on top of the same side front fender and same side rear dually fender.

I have never had an auto painted in my life. Three trucks were hit that I owned, but the at fault peoples insurance bought me a new truck.

Wonder what a complete new exterior paint job on a Dodge Dually 4 door long bed cost?

Guestimates anyone?
Several thousand, with just the paint material itself likely costing upwards of a couple of thousand or possibly more. Automotive paint is stupid expensive these days thanks to our wonderful .gov overlords.

My F150 is in dire need of paint also, the top of the cab is through the clear and the base and into the metal. I have to do something with it this summer for sure. The weird thing is the rest of the truck ain't bad at all. :scratch:

I'm going to have the whole truck done in bedliner. This truck has enough hail damage on it that it is just not reasonable to fix for a nice new coat of paint, so bedliner it is. It's a bit cheaper too, but still pretty pricey. But it's a perfect fit for my truck and getting beat up isn't a thing with bedliner. They can even color match now days.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt I put money in the Truck for paint. It’s a work Truck. I just have no knowledge on paint and such. I was hoping just the areas could be done, but now understand the whole thing would be needed.

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's basecoat/clearcoat 2K paint system it's probably a good idea to repaint the whole thing. The basecoat (colored coat) chemically reacts with the clearcoat put on top of it. It becomes one in a manner of speaking. Basecoat will never cure completely unless that clearcoat is put on top in the required time interval (usually within 24 hours).

I took a 2 year autobody program in high school to include going through Du Pont and PPG finishing programs, but also was also working in aerospace finishing with all manner of epoxy aircraft paints long after that. Also have painted a few cars and motorcycles.
:thumb:
Did you work at the paint hanger at Tinker?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have the answers
But if parts of it are peeling then it's going to give you problems in other areas especially if paint is fading or faded. Late 90s clear coat on multiple manufacturers have been a big problem.

A little more info on the Truck. It is a low mileage truck and the gent that bought it new kept it stored under a lean to and the drivers side was exposed to the sun. All the issues are on that side.

Knowing that, would the entire truck need to be painted in it’s entirety?

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little more info on the Truck. It is a low mileage truck and the gent that bought it new kept it stored under a lean to and the drivers side was exposed to the sun. All the issues are on that side.

Knowing that, would the entire truck need to be painted in it’s entirety?
No, you can get away with painting only part of it. It will need to be blended though, especially with its age. I repair and resell vehicles. I just locate and bolt on parts and hire out the paint and bodywork portion of it. If you post pics I can give you an idea of what I would expect to pay for the job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom