Pawnee Run N Gun July 19th, 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several of us ROs got a little "Run 'n Gun style hunting" in last Friday after the RO run... I jumped out of a pickup and hauled ass across a field to shoot this guy on the run from about 75 yards:
i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_Run_20n_20Gun_imagejpg8_zps58518358.jpg

Awesome!!!! I think a longer race would be cool. Where you had to take calories and water or water sterilizing stuff. Like 30 or 50 miles or something. And having a mandatory 6 hour break would cool. Where you had to camp and/or sleep. Have it all night. And have like a certain hour time limit. Like 16 or 24 hours or something so just completing in time would be a big accomplishment. I was thinking about that a few weeks ago when I ran 26.5 miles one morning. Be a nightmare to organize, but I think it could get some national recognition. Probably be the only thing like that with guns. Just thinking out loud :)[/QUOTE]

Set it up, and I'll sign up.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UMB - I am by no means the fastest runner, but I can tell you a couple things I've learned over the years:
Drink lots a couple days ahead of time, and include Gatorade in that. If you just drink loads of water, you're flushing away stuff your body needs.

Vary the terrain you run in. Try to get in some hills, yes they suck, but it builds muscles where just pounding the pavement doesn't work you the same way. Run withyour gear once a week. All of it, or fashion some weight to simulate it. Run when its hot.
Most folks run early in the day to avoid the heat -because it's dangerous. So what? Work your way slowly to be able to tolerate running in the afternoon in August. If you get lucky and get a runngun with decent weather, it'll seem like a bonus.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you TK. I admit, even though I stay away from the hardpan and roads; preferring trails , the vast majority of it is flat. I drink about 1.5 gallons of water daily on average, maybe a little more on run days.. On run days I mix in some potassium chloride and sodium citrate in roughly the same ratios as pedialyte or ORS rehydration salts. In retrospect, I should probably be adding those ingredients every day considering the amount of water I drink. Maybe? I have been doing my runs in the late afternoon to acclimate, and with a pack which is heavier than my load out.
I have noticed that my calorie intake makes a huge difference in how long I can go before I get gassed. Judging by your post and my experience so far it looks like more pt and making it suck as much as possible is in my future.

frayluisfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
UMB,
My wife has been training for half marathons for a year or so now, and what she has read/learned was a big help to me. What Ted Kennedy said is something I have read elsewhere as well from marathoners--start hydrating extra a couple days before, and not just water.

Like you, I had been running in the hottest part of the day on purpose for a few weeks. I felt like it helped--I didnt' feel as miserable as usual. :-)

Cramping-- from what I've read, that tends to be either a pulled muscle or lack of salt/electrolytes. Did you have any Gatorade during the run? That's all I brought, fluid wise, and it seemed to help. Also, did you give your body some rest before the event? The athletes I've known have talked about training lighter in the week or two before the Big Event. This give the body time to respond to the training it had received during the previous months, and results in increased performance. In my case, I pushed myself pretty hard throughout May and June, but thenI did nothing at all for a week before the Run n Gun. Do you think you might have overtrained?

Anyway, good AAR. Made me think about what I need to do differently next time.

Mike

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UMB,
My wife has been training for half marathons for a year or so now, and what she has read/learned was a big help to me. What Ted Kennedy said is something I have read elsewhere as well from marathoners--start hydrating extra a couple days before, and not just water.

Like you, I had been running in the hottest part of the day on purpose for a few weeks. I felt like it helped--I didnt' feel as miserable as usual. :-)

Cramping-- from what I've read, that tends to be either a pulled muscle or lack of salt/electrolytes. Did you have any Gatorade during the run? That's all I brought, fluid wise, and it seemed to help. Also, did you give your body some rest before the event? The athletes I've known have talked about training lighter in the week or two before the Big Event. This give the body time to respond to the training it had received during the previous months, and results in increased performance. In my case, I pushed myself pretty hard throughout May and June, but thenI did nothing at all for a week before the Run n Gun. Do you think you might have overtrained?

Anyway, good AAR. Made me think about what I need to do differently next time.

Mike

Thanks Mike. For fluids on the run I had the same mix I use on run days. I steer away from gatorade and those drinks mostly to avoid the sugar. Its one of those things I have almost cut out of my diet on a regular basis. However, during things like the run n gun it probably wouldn't hurt at all. The mix I use is a gallon of drinking water, 3 individual packets of wylers drink mix, ORS mix of potassium chloride/sodium citrate. I haven't added any sodium chloride in the past because I had assumed that I was getting enough through foods. I may have to rethink this. The ratios I have used are based loosely on the WHO guidelines, plus a little more and without the added glucose. Perhaps I should look into adding some of that as well. I over hydrated the week before the event, but it was only with water. after reading what you and Al had to say, Im thinking I may have inadvertently flushed away more electrolytes than I took in the day of the run. light bulb moment.
I know I didnt over train, and my last run day was Monday before the event. That was only two miles at that. Thanks again. I think I may be putting together a good base of info on what I need to start doing differently.

This AAR would be sooo much better if, at some point, it involved you having to peel a bobcat off of your face....

aint that the truth. I have a great come back to this, but since this is a family friendly forum, I will abide.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several of us ROs got a little "Run 'n Gun style hunting" in last Friday after the RO run... I jumped out of a pickup and hauled ass across a field to shoot this guy on the run from about 75 yards:
i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_Run_20n_20Gun_imagejpg8_zps58518358.jpg

Awesome!!!! I think a longer race would be cool. Where you had to take calories and water or water sterilizing stuff. Like 30 or 50 miles or something. And having a mandatory 6 hour break would cool. Where you had to camp and/or sleep. Have it all night. And have like a certain hour time limit. Like 16 or 24 hours or something so just completing in time would be a big accomplishment. I was thinking about that a few weeks ago when I ran 26.5 miles one morning. Be a nightmare to organize, but I think it could get some national recognition. Probably be the only thing like that with guns. Just thinking out loud :)

I think you're on to something here. Throw in some landnav, minor survival/SERE aspects, etc. and I think you'd have a hell of a course that a LOT of people would be interested in. Running and gunning is one thing, but I'd love to toss in rehashing my SERE training too.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, shakyhand. And thanks for the tip. I don,t think it,ll work for me to shoot that part straight up, since my optic sits kinda high to clear the BUIS. But I,ll keep it mind for the future and give it a try.

Mike, was that you running the FNAR, with your son in tow?

That was fun to watch on Stage 6...just a loud blast of a .308 and the ring of steel. You were killin' it.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you're on to something here. Throw in some landnav, minor survival/SERE aspects, etc. and I think you'd have a hell of a course that a LOT of people would be interested in. Running and gunning is one thing, but I'd love to toss in rehashing my SERE training too.

Im game, but only if the barrel, beatings and naked perp walk is included.

Latest posts

Top Bottom