Picatinny rail-mounted Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what makes it better if its mounted at 12:00 or on the front sight base rather than side mounted on the rail?

With a weapon mounted light on a long gun, the barrel will block & shadow some portion of the beam. If it's mounted lower than the barrel, it will block the top part. You may not want to point the long gun directly at something until you're ready to fire. Using the edges of the beam for target discrimination or maneuvering is preferable to pointing the gun directly at stuff. If the light is on the bottom, you pretty much have to point it at something to get enough light on the subject.

Same thing if it's at 3:00 or 9:00 and you're pieing corners. The higher you mount the light, the better you can ID and maneuver without needlessly aiming at things you don't want to shoot. Also, the further forward you grip the long gun with your support hand, the better you can "drive" the gun with more speed & control. That's why I like the light as high and far forward as I can get it.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jakerz,

Great alternative - - I can use one of the Surefires I already have.

Exactly. I have one (the cheaper one) mounted with a G2. Good option in my opinion. And you can always take it off your firearm and use it as a standard flashlight. Good luck!

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a weapon mounted light on a long gun, the barrel will block & shadow some portion of the beam. If it's mounted lower than the barrel, it will block the top part. You may not want to point the long gun directly at something until you're ready to fire. Using the edges of the beam for target discrimination or maneuvering is preferable to pointing the gun directly at stuff. If the light is on the bottom, you pretty much have to point it at something to get enough light on the subject.

Same thing if it's at 3:00 or 9:00 and you're pieing corners. The higher you mount the light, the better you can ID and maneuver without needlessly aiming at things you don't want to shoot. Also, the further forward you grip the long gun with your support hand, the better you can "drive" the gun with more speed & control. That's why I like the light as high and far forward as I can get it.

I've never had it explained to me before but that makes sense. Thanks!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either one of these are good options. Pick the one that fits the flashlight you want, mount and go.

http://www.vltor.com/scount-mount-cge.htm

http://www.vltor.com/scount-mount-ocg.htm

This and then go to Batteryjunction.com or ebay and get yourself a CREE LED upgrade for the Surefire G2 and you'll enjoy a lot more battery life with a lot more lite coming out of the G2 (and no incandescent failure due to shock - not that Surefires are necessarily known for that).

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTG, I'm just going to start asking what you have on your guns. You always have the coolest gadgets and accessories. That light mount is awesome, do you know if it will fit a 6P? And what about the sling mount on that MOE?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GTG, I'm just going to start asking what you have on your guns. You always have the coolest gadgets and accessories. That light mount is awesome, do you know if it will fit a 6P? And what about the sling mount on that MOE?

Thanks! I tend to over-research my stuff, if that's possible. The sling mount is from Impact Weapons Components, as is the light mount on the MOE. The do have mounts for 1" body lights, as well as custom tailored mounts for various handguard/rails. As a matter of fact, you can even order the MOE HG with the sling mount and other stuff already installed from them. Their motto is "Solutions. Simple. Lightweight. Innovative."

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom