1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Picked up a Russian SKS - '51 Tula

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by jbrentd, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jbrentd

jbrentd Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Here she is with the replacement bayonet.

[​IMG]

2. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Holy crap, man - that's a non-refurb that someone took the bayonet off of - hell of a find! Which pawn shop had that one? I guess I need to check out the local pawn shops a little more often.....

3. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Many of these were sold very cheap at gun shows back in the 90's. A lot of them went home and were immediately retired to the closet. Every once in a while, some heir takes one to the pawn shop to see what he can get for it. You just gotta be diligent.

4. jbrentd

jbrentd Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Found this one at 2nd Hand Rose. They almost always have a couple milsurps on the rack.

5. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You'll likely not find a Russian "pig sticker" on its own, as the 1949 was the only year the Russians used the spike - and those rifles themselves are highly, highly sought after and very uncommon. Finding non-refurbs is getting harder and harder, so finding that one at a pawn shop was a great find. There are a few SKSs I'm still looking out for, so I'll be scouring the Wannenmacher show next weekend for any hidden gems. Nice rifle, and great post.

6. jbrentd

jbrentd Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Thanks and good luck at the show! Which models are you looking for?

7. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Will just keep a lookout for deals; if I can run across a nice Romanian cheap, a '49 Russian, or one of the "Security Forces" Chinese rifles I'll probably jump on it. Don't need another SKS, but would likely add one (or all) of the above if I find them and have the cash. Any deal on a non-refub Russian might find it's way home with me, too. There's way too much stuff I want, and way too little money. But I'll be there, looking at what I shouldn't spend money on.

8. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

SKS's are probably the best platform for the 7.62X39 cartridge. I've yet to see one that's not very accurate even with the iron sight's. The one I had before the one I have now I put a set of Tec-site's on her to improve her accuracy ( not that she shot fine without ). I won't be doing that with this one, as she shoot's very well with her own sight's. I won't be getting rid of this one!!

9. jbrentd

jbrentd Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This one will definitely stay all original. Hope to get it out to the range soon to see how she does. I signed up for the vintage military rifle competition on 11/21 at Red Castle. My son will be shooting this one and I'll have my MN M39.

When I get the itch to bubba something, I have a Yugo SKS that is heavily modified (mostly by its previous owner). It pretty darn accurate.

10. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    God yes - if you get the itch to bubba something and consider that Russian SKS - PM me. I'll save it.....