Plano storage boxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my shotgun on a flight recently and the hard box broke. Luckily the gun didn't fall out when the lock mechanism failed and the box was open about an inch. I can't think it was accidental but who knows?

I went to Bass Pro on my trip and bought one of those super heavy duty Plano boxes. It is pretty sweet and nothing will break that thing.

My question is, since it is so solid, can I just store a gun in it as a "mini safe"? I don't know if that is hard on a gun to be in that kind of storage but if it won't be an issue, I was going to go that route. What are your thoughts on this idea?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Remington 1100 that had been stored in a sheep's wool gun case for almost a year for $50.
Had to sand the wool off the barrel and the stock. Refinished the stock but the pitting was horrible on the receiver and barrel. Some guy was wanting a shotgun for dove season, so got $100 out of it, and he wanted to sell it back for the $50 he needed to make his rent. Bought it back and sold it once again for $100. This was in the early 80's. The final buyer picked me out of a crowd at a company reunion a couple years ago and said he still had it and it still shot great. One of the two or three guns I've ever sold.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^

This! Storing a firearm in any kind of case in contact with padding is a guarantee of rust.
Not really. Protip --- put the gun in the case, and then give a healthy spray of Rem oil to the areas of the foam AROUND (not directly in contact with) the gun. Boom, no more issues.