Powder left in a hopper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the process of cleaning out my garage and can now get to my reloading table easier. And plan on getting back into reloading with it getting warmer and I realized I had left my hopper about half full of powder. It has been there for 3 months or so. It has been covered, but been out in the cold and in an non-insulated garage. I was not sure if it would still be good or if I should just dump it out and put fresh powder in it before I start reloading again.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although its been fairly dry, we've had weather where we fluctuated in temp by a fairly large margin.

In addition to moisture, some powders dont like to be kept in varying temps.

I could see it going either way, but considering where this powder gets ignited (by your hands and face and in a pretty expensive tool, ie your gun) personally, I would play it safe and dispose of it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ingredients in powder are basically fertilizer.
So if you want to throw it out. Just sprinkle in on the lawn.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I've seen old timers just leave powder in their measure. You ever see the plastic yellowed to the point of being brown? That's from the powder being in them constantly. They just top them off when they need to and load away.

Personally I don't like leaving powder in my measure more than a couple of days, but I doubt if anything is actually wrong with it.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to soak some powder in water for a few weeks, then dry it out, load it up, and shoot it over a chrony.

Surely someone has tried this test.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can't imagine any harm would come from letting powder sitting out.
worst that can happen is powder absorbs moisture and not ignite.
that said... power goes back to sealed canister when done for the day.

ammo for plinking... I'd use it.
critical rounds no way

Latest posts

Top Bottom