Primer pocket tightening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read on another forum how a guy tightened his 300 WM primer pockets and it holds well for more than one firing.

He took a 1/4" grade 8 hard bolt and stuck it into the case and put tape around the shank so it centered good in the neck area.

Then take a 1/2" or 3/4 hard ball bearing place the case primer pocket onto the bearing.
The bearing should be secured in a vise or on a steel plate with a hole drilled into it to hold the ball bearing.
Tap the 1/4" bolt with a hammer.
This pinches the primer pocket tighter.. measure diameter before and after.

A couple taps is all most cases took. Depending on how hard you hit it I suppose.
Start soft and work your way up.

Thought I would share.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget the pocket... resize the primer.

t0_gstatic_com_images_0b95463ca3a2bfc5040b1f35d9c29ca8._.jpg

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This sounds like the opposite of pocket swaging. I can see how it might help hold onto a primer after the pocket is stretched but it also sounds like he's asking for trouble.
The pocket is stretched because the brass is almost at the end of it's useful life span, probably due to repeated too-high pressure firings.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think his was 300 win mag brass and the pressures on it are high anyway.
I spend about 4 minutes on each case for my rifle brass and to have a pocket get loose kind of sucks.

I have researched this many years ago but no good solution.

I recently got a 6.5 Creedmoor and first firing in a load under book max that many people use and that Hornady uses in loaded ammo made my primer pockets a little looser in Federal and Lapua cases with 1 time being fired.

There is a lot of useful life left in the cases if the primers do not leak.
I have fired .308 lapua and federal cases over 40 times in my .308
Here is the link .

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tighten-primer-pockets-heres-how.152361/

Latest posts

Top Bottom