Primer ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTH? Does Winchester not even make a true Magnum Large Pistol Primer any more? I've been working up some loads for a variety of calibers, and found I needed some Magnum Small Rifle Primers (which I still don't have) and some Magnum Large Pistol primers. Went into Academy while I was in OKC yesterday and they said they had the pistol, but not the rifle, primers. So, I bought them, didn't even look at the boxes, and brought them home. After I got home, I noticed they were marked "For Standard OR Magnum Pistol Loads." WTH? You can't have it both ways, guys! I got on their web site and they don't even show a Magnum Large Pistol Primer. They show the WLP (which is what I got) as Large Regular Pistol. I don't normally load Winchester primers, so I wasn't paying attention like I should have been. Has anybody used these with loads that call for Magnum primers? And, what was your impression?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WOW! A little research indicates that ONLY CCI and Federal now make a Large Pistol Magnum primer, and ONLY CCI and Remington make a Small Rifle Magnum primer. I normally use CCI, so I guess I just never ran into this before. I know Winchester used to catalog a WLP and WLPM, but I guess no more ... they think one primer will do it all! So, has anybody used the Winchester WLP primer in an application that calls for a magnum primer? What was your experience? Thanks!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My load book shows that the 357 mag was tested with magnum primers in their tests.
When i started loading for 357 mag i used magnum primers with 2400
I later tried standard primers..accuracy was much better.
I only use magnum primers now for shooting projectiles with NO powder.

Try and see how they work for you.
I never used winchester primers so can't help you there.
What are you loading that calls for Magnum ?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Except for reloading the .416 Rigby and .30-378wby which I use Fed 215's, I've always used LR in every other rifle cartridge.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
some of the ball powders don't light properly without magnum primers in certain loads. I can see a marked difference in performance on some of the magnum rifle loads I shoot, on some there is a noticeable delay (almost a hangfire) between the firing pin hitting and the recoil without magnum primers.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you loading that calls for Magnum ?

SOME of the loads I've come across (in reputable published manuals) call for a mag primer with a 200-grain JHP in .45 Colt and IMR 4227. I've loaded a lot of 4227 (not in .45 Colt) and never used a magnum primer before, but their load calls for it. I was gonna' give it a try.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got close to a thousand CCI 350 large pistol magnum primers if need some to try to see if it makes a difference in loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom