Proposed NY Law Would Hand Perps Leaving Prison $2,600($400+ - 6 months)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My last active-duty station was Ft Leavenworth Ks.
5 prisons or jails in that area, so a lot of my neighbors were prison guards or worked in the prison system. We talked a lot about what happens behind and beyond those walls.
This was in the 70's, so things may have changed until recently.
At that time, Federal prisoners in the big house had the opportunity to work inside for wages, or do arts and crafts that could be sold outside the prison during special events. A computer company that is no longer in business had training classed to teach the inmates punch card technology so they could have an avenue to a job when getting out.
They had a dairy where the prison got milk and meat, had huge gardens the inmates took care of and so on. Some off prison grounds where trustees did the work. Escapes never happened but a couple of times.
Wages were like .10 an hour or so. Not much, and half had to go to their commissary account to buy smokes, toothpaste, etc if family didn't add to the account.
They got out after time served with a little money in their pocket and a free bus ticket to their choice of location.
Some had no life after prison. No family, or none wanted them, so they commit a crime to get back in. 3 squares a day and a warm bunk. Better than they had on the outside.
State prisons are the other way around. Pretty tough without much rehabilitation classes, etc.
They dump them on the street after time served.
Most drift into social services unless they are welcomed home by relatives, living as homeless on the streets, committing crimes to stay alive.
Some are just criminals and need to be locked up forever, because no matter how much help the family gives them, they refuse to enter back into society by taking advantage of the help, and not committing into moving back into a normal life by getting a job and staying with it. They don't understand why an ex-con is not going to get CEO salaries evidently.
We are living that life now. Relative has been in prison twice now for extended stays, the family welcomes him home, gives him work to buy food and support himself while he says he is looking for work and invariably starts back into the drug trade.
No work, easy money, but he always gets caught and did so again. Back to the slammer for him in his near future.
Another distant relative-in-law got sent to the slammer, got out and started a diesel repair business with what he learned in prison, learned how to program diesels semi's, and is making bank with a 6 figure salary now. Has a side hack of rebuilding them at a huge new shop at his home.
So, long story short, but I don't think the $2500 doled out in increments is a bad thing. If it gives a few inmates a hand up to buy some time to start a new life, I'm for it.
We all know there are going to be abusers. Just off the top of my head, 80% will abuse it and take advantage of it, but there is going to be that small segment that will use that as a seed to start a new life.
They are the ones that have smarts enough to think I screwed up my life with a bad decision and everyone around me. How can I make that right and take the initiative to do so.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A guy that I used to work with ran our machine shop. We worked pretty close together doing bids for aerospace contracts. He did a nickel in federal prison for narcotics trafficking. He learned his lesson and when he got out he never went back to his old ways and instead learned a trade and built a career. That scenario needs to happen more often, and it's sad that it doesn't.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be ok with this idea.
It's $400 per month for 6 months.
It's barely enough to get rent and food.
This is effectively a small step to keep them from being homeless.

Getting a job while homeless is very difficult, so this help to avoid that problem.
Desperate people do desperate things. This idea may help alleviate the hardship just long enough to get a job.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do bad thing, go to prison. Get out of prison. No money. Do bad thing to get money. Back to prison. Seems like a revolving door, no? I could see how someone getting out after doing time would have a hard time reintegrating without resources, especially if you don't have family support. Lots of places won't even give a felon the time of day (My current place included, but that's a CLEET thing.) I remember when I worked at the hospital, I had a coworker who did some time and when I was wrestling with those crackheads, there was nobody else I would rather see running to help me. I see no problem with helping your fellow man, provided they use it to better themselves. $400 a month is barely enough to eat with and it certainly won't cover rent at a decent place, but it might be just enough to keep someone from going back to doing bad things to get money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom