Question For Gunsmiths

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone drops a gun at your business for repair, it has to be logged-in. That is so. Does the owner have to fill out a 4473 to get it back?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About what I thought. Two posters on another forum said that because the gun has been logged-in, a 4473 is required to get it back. FWIW, I checked with my gunsmith and he said just what you guys are saying. He did talk about one exception and that is if you have your buddy to pick the gun up, HE has to fill out a 4473, since he now in possession of the gun, but if the gun's owner picks it up, there is no 4473 needed.

Thanks.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is correct, but if you are a gunsmith, you still have to log it in a gunsmith work book, and log it out (all guns on the premises should be in some book). If you leave a gun to be sold by a gunsmith or gun shop, it can only come back to you if not sold by way of a 4473.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About what I thought. Two posters on another forum said that because the gun has been logged-in, a 4473 is required to get it back. FWIW, I checked with my gunsmith and he said just what you guys are saying. He did talk about one exception and that is if you have your buddy to pick the gun up, HE has to fill out a 4473, since he now in possession of the gun, but if the gun's owner picks it up, there is no 4473 needed.

Thanks.
This is correct. YOU can pick up your gun without a b/g check; anyone else picking up your gun must undergo a background check. And it needs to be logged in only if it will be kept overnight. Guns repaired and returned the same day need not be logged in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom