4473 question on owned BP weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picking up a 150 year old black powder weapon which was on consignment but never sold. Auction house wants me to fill out a 4473. Does this make sense to anyone?

I thought BP was exempt

As owner of bp weapon would batfe require a 4473 of me?
Up to the individual licensee. Not required by BATFE but the seller may just want to show some measure of due diligence should it become necessary after the fact.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were pawned then I understand, it was used as collateral and held in potential ownership by the business. But with no form of ownership transferred it would be the same as gunsmith repairs where you do not need 4473 to pick up, no?

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cabelas has tags on theirs that say ‘4473 required’. I bought one at a pawn shop recently and had to fill one out. I think it’s more individual policy than anything.
Interesting. I bought one at Cabela's a few years ago and just walked out with it after paying.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is anything made prior to 1898 is considered an antique firearm and can be transferred without paperwork. So a 150 year old gun was made prior to 1898 = no paperwork, even if you can get ammo over the shelf. A trapdoor Springfield in 45/70, or an old 12 gage shotgun might meet those criteria.

Trick is, how do you know it was made prior to 1898. Some stuff - like old Winchesters, have published serial number data and its easy to establish date of manufacturer. A single barrel Iver Johnson shotgun might or might not be, but try and prove it. I can't find the data. In those cases where a business does not know (or care to check) they error on the side of compliance and fill out the forms.

Front stuffers generally fall in the antique category regardless of true age because they have features that place them in the "antique" category. Convert one to take cartridges, and you are in an area I have not looked at.

Purchasing or transfer of ownership of modern guns from or through an FFL - plan on paperwork.

Consigned firearms/ Gunsmith repairs - Ownership is not transferred, so that probably changes things, but I am not up on the specifics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom