Question on loading 45 auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the range yesterday and shot probably 400 reloads no problem. My brother shot with me using factory federal rounds. I picked up all our brass to load, but when sorting, the federal has small pistol primers. Can I use the same recipe I have for the large or would it be different? It sucks cause I had to sort different calibers and sort by primer on. 45. Thanks

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you can. A few people I know have chrono'd two identical loads to check the difference between small/large pistol primers and found that the small primed 45 loads lost 25-30 fps.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've painstakingly sorted out several kinds of 45ACP brass that use SPP's. Winchester's Non-Toxic, Fiocchi, a whole host of ATK brands: Blazer, Speer, and Walmart's special cheap Federal Champion. Its ********

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
its a pain to separate, i went through probably 600 rounds yesterday. it sucks to have to change my square deal primer setup in the middle of loading, it would b easier if they are all the same.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you prefer to load, whether small or large, just load it and sell the rest. Or work out a trade for small primer brass for large primer brass?

I would guess they made the change because small primers are probably cheaper than large.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue with 7.62X39. Remington has one size and winchester has the other. I have to seperate them before running through the Dillon.. Blitzfike

tman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran into the same thing a few weeks ago while I was priming some 45s, the primer wouldn't fit so I had to seperate all the federals. Not good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom