Questions about stippling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Is it worth the money to do this to a pistol that feels comfortable from the factory?

2. I've never handle a pistol with this done, will it make that big of a difference in my grip on my M&P?

3. Would you recommend stippling on a CCW pistol?

4. What are all of the benefits of stippling? (besides the coolness factor)

That is all I can think of right now. Thanks for the help.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1: Yes
2: Yes that is what I have and the stippling makes a huge difference
3: Yes It gives you a better grip in an intense situation. Very positive grip, you know you have a hold on it.
4: Function. It gives you a better hold on your weapon. You are not always having to readjust your grip while shooting it.

I would recommend do the backstrap and the frontstrap. For carry if you do an entire grip stipple then it could rub and be very uncomfortable without a layer between you r weapon and your skin.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Is it worth the money to do this to a pistol that feels comfortable from the factory?

2. I've never handle a pistol with this done, will it make that big of a difference in my grip on my M&P?

3. Would you recommend stippling on a CCW pistol?

4. What are all of the benefits of stippling? (besides the coolness factor)

That is all I can think of right now. Thanks for the help.

shoot this dude a PM, he'll gives you some idea about it and also check out his website.

www.accurate-iron.com

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here are the straps I did for my M&P 45. Mike at Accurate Iron can do it for you . He has some cool patterns. I did these just playing around and really like them.

ai432.photobucket.com_albums_qq49_rzmwurk_IMG_1965.jpg_1efaed7af2f6335ef5d303ad624d84b7.jpg

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shoot this dude a PM, he'll gives you some idea about it and also check out his website.

www.accurate-iron.com

Mike is def a good guy. I talked to him about my Sigma 9mm a few years ago about working the trigger. I just never got around to it. I'm starting to look into the stippling as my M&P 40 is what I carry CCW. I would have to wait until this summer to do any stippling if I did. I will shoot him a PM to ask him about it. Maybe he will pop in this thread too. I did a search for stippling but didn't see any threads about it that weren't people showing off what they had done.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Even though it does feel better in some cases, the real purpose of stippling is to provide a rougher grip. This would prevent your hand slipping on the gun during firing even if your hand is sweaty, bloody, or otherwise slicked up.

In fact, if you are going from a relatively smooth surface to a rough stippling, you may at first think the gun is less comfortable, as the surface will chafe your skin.

So in a word, is it worth it for a CCW gun? Yes
Is it worth it for a range gun? If you have sweaty hands or if you will be shooting fast/competitively, yes.

For just an average plinking gun, you probably don't need it.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even though it does feel better in some cases, the real purpose of stippling is to provide a rougher grip. This would prevent your hand slipping on the gun during firing even if your hand is sweaty, bloody, or otherwise slicked up.

In fact, if you are going from a relatively smooth surface to a rough stippling, you may at first think the gun is less comfortable, as the surface will chafe your skin.

So in a word, is it worth it for a CCW gun? Yes
Is it worth it for a range gun? If you have sweaty hands or if you will be shooting fast/competitively, yes.

For just an average plinking gun, you probably don't need it.

Thanks for the info. It is most definitely my carry gun. When I shoot at the range it is typically around 200 rounds, maybe more depending on time and money. Chafing I'm not really worried about, as I have pretty thick skin on my hands/plenty of calluses on my hands from working on cars.

Which style tends to be the most comfortable to everyone? I'm debating on an IWB holster as well for better concealment.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't do aggressive stippling on a CCW gun. Not because of your hands, but because of wear on clothing and your hide if it rides against exposed skin in the holster.

Unlike rubber grips and sleeves, the beauty of stippling is that it allows you to slide on the grip before pressure is applied. That way you can get a proper grip. Once you have it, applying pressure locks it in place for a firm, secure hold. A proper grip on the draw is one of the most important and overlooked aspects of getting good hits on the first shot and sustaining accuracy on follow up shots.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For competition, go course (i.e. aggressive) stippling. For carry, go finer. Mike can do it for you, and do a very nice job. Or, you can do it yourself. Just depends on your comfort level, and if you feel it's worth your time.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom