Daniel Defense H9 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2936.jpeg

I had a chance to shoot the new H9 today at Frontier Justice in Jenks. My initial thought on picking it up was that it felt nice in the hand and was comfortable. The grip had nice texture. It pointed naturally and the controls were all easy enough to reach and manipulate. I dry fired it a few times while aiming down range to test the trigger before putting rounds through it. Immediately the trigger safety stuck out to me as odd. It hinges from the bottom so it has a very foreign feel to it. You don’t notice it while shooting, but when you first engage the trigger the safety felt unlike anything I’ve shot before, and I mean that in a bad way. Next, the trigger is a straight pull design similar to a 1911, but it is still striker fired. I couldn’t tell the straight pull was making any positive effects and ultimately it felt like a mediocre Glock trigger. The CZ P10 series, Sig P320, Walther, Canik, and probably plenty of other striker fired polymer guns have a better trigger by my estimation. On to shooting. The recoil impulse was fine, nothing really different from most well known, well made polymer guns. I don’t really have anything negative to say about the way it recoils, but it doesn’t stand out either as being anything impressive. The accuracy was on par with about all the other striker fired guns I’ve shot. I could see the mediocre trigger holding back its accuracy at distance though compared to the above listed striker fired guns with better triggers. Ultimately, for me, it would be a hard pass. The price tag is around $1300 if I remember right, or about the same as 3 CZ P10 series pistols. Even if it was the same price as my P10F, I’d take the P10F.

Bilsondiehard

Marksman
Reaction score
Just picked up my h9 at my local this morning. Won’t be sending any downrange till next week but I plan to dry fire a ton and try and break it in a little bit as I agree on the trigger seeming mediocre. Crisp break, nice reset but a very little odd spongy take up before that break that reminds me it’s still a striker at the end of the day. Hoping it’ll smooth out some. The ergos are fantastic though. Nothing like the 1911 grip. Cz and baretta being close 2nds for me. Regardless whether or not the ddh9 makes it into my rotation or sits in the safe, being the unique Hudson redux that it is as well as DD’s first ever pistol means, at least for me imho, it will still retain good value. No regrets here however it pans out. Still hoping for the best. Handsome commander esq carry size and feels good in the hands. 👍🏽

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Frontier Justice last Friday and put about 25 rounds thru the H9. The gun does feel good in the hand and that's about it. I just didn't care for the way it shot or the weird reverse dongle trigger. I really was surprised how underwhelmed I was about the gun given the excitement I had for it going in. I'm sure there are a lot of people that will love the new design, but it just wasn't for me.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a disappointment on the trigger given it's a selling point of the design. Did it in fact affect your accuracy over the other guns? For example, I know I can shoot a fist-sized 5-round shot group at 25 yards with an HK VP9 and tighter with something like a 4" Smith 627. Do you have a standard you maintain that you can evaluate against?

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a disappointment on the trigger given it's a selling point of the design. Did it in fact affect your accuracy over the other guns? For example, I know I can shoot a fist-sized 5-round shot group at 25 yards with an HK VP9 and tighter with something like a 4" Smith 627. Do you have a standard you maintain that you can evaluate against?
I didn’t shoot it enough to go that in depth on accuracy standards. I shot it first at 5 yards and then at 25. I didn’t notice it being any more accurate than any other striker fired handgun. The trigger feels like a striker fired trigger to me. The straight pull, like a 1911, is negated in my book by the spongey striker feel. I would rather buy an $800 Springfield 1911 and a $500 polymer striker fired gun. The money would be the same and you would have 2 guns both better than the DD H9.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 449204

I had a chance to shoot the new H9 today at Frontier Justice in Jenks. My initial thought on picking it up was that it felt nice in the hand and was comfortable. The grip had nice texture. It pointed naturally and the controls were all easy enough to reach and manipulate. I dry fired it a few times while aiming down range to test the trigger before putting rounds through it. Immediately the trigger safety stuck out to me as odd. It hinges from the bottom so it has a very foreign feel to it. You don’t notice it while shooting, but when you first engage the trigger the safety felt unlike anything I’ve shot before, and I mean that in a bad way. Next, the trigger is a straight pull design similar to a 1911, but it is still striker fired. I couldn’t tell the straight pull was making any positive effects and ultimately it felt like a mediocre Glock trigger. The CZ P10 series, Sig P320, Walther, Canik, and probably plenty of other striker fired polymer guns have a better trigger by my estimation. On to shooting. The recoil impulse was fine, nothing really different from most well known, well made polymer guns. I don’t really have anything negative to say about the way it recoils, but it doesn’t stand out either as being anything impressive. The accuracy was on par with about all the other striker fired guns I’ve shot. I could see the mediocre trigger holding back its accuracy at distance though compared to the above listed striker fired guns with better triggers. Ultimately, for me, it would be a hard pass. The price tag is around $1300 if I remember right, or about the same as 3 CZ P10 series pistols. Even if it was the same price as my P10F, I’d take the P10F.
I shot a stacatto the other day, it was nice, but it made me realize that the M&Ps, glocks, P10s, etc., all do the same thing in the practical uses and circumstances. I think this H9 is in the same boat for me, grip em and shoot. Thanks for the review

Bilsondiehard

Marksman
Reaction score
Just hit the 1k mark on the H9. Flawless performance. Having warmed up to the trigger groupings out to 25 yards are 3-5” depending on distance and rate of fire. Very comfortable to carry w the thin profile. My only complaint being such a slimline profile is that DD only offers plates for full sized optics. Currently have a DPP plate and an SRS otw. Will update in a couple weeks since it seems the plate may take a while. All in all though I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the revamp of the H9 and will be adding it to my edc rotation.
IMG_4516.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom