Red Dot Scope - question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is it common for the "dot" to not be round? I bought one and it's actually a tiny line rather than a dot (sort of like a wee little hyphen).

I've had odd shaped beams with most (if not all) laser pointers, but I kinda expected the dot to be round in scopes.

As you can probably tell, this is my first red dot. :D

Thanks, Mac

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a BUIS flip it up and look through the peep with the dot lined up. Is it round now? If it is you probably have an astigmatism. I sold my Eotech in Jan for this exact reason. Even though I have glasses to correct my vision the angle at which I view is only corrected straight on so in an aiming position with a good cheek weld they do no good. I'll be going to a Vortex 1-6 etched reticle glass scope which works fine with an astigmatism. Good luck. In this case let's hope it's a messed up optic.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, well now I feel like an idiot. You'd think I'd be used to that by now.

I wear glasses for the computer, and have stronger ones for reading and close work.

The dot looks round without my glasses... :D

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of vision, I had cataract surgery a few years ago. While it is a GREAT BLESSING to not have to wear glasses to correct 20-400 vision, I have two different lenses in my eyes. My right eye (yes, aiming eye) has a lens that allows me to clearly see close but not far, while my left eye has a lens that allows me to see far out. Thus, after the cataract surgery was done, I still ordered a couple of pairs of glasses; one with single vision and wrap-around lens for shooting, and another with bifocals for driving at night so I can read street signs.

Oh, prior to the cataract surgery, my optometrist said he could only correct my vision to 20-25. After the surgery, my vision without correction is 20-25. Win-Win!!

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cheaper the red dot, the more likely you will have "feathering" or "blooming". And yeah, failing eyes dont help either. Just dial down the intensity till you get the least fuzz

Latest posts

Top Bottom