Red Lasers versus Green Ones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Mac

Does anyone have any practical experience and advice on whether the red lasers or green ones are better? I have read where the green lasers are better seen in worse light conditions but at self defense range is there any real difference? I read a post here that said the red ones don't bother dogs and cats as much as the green ones (might have that reversed). Mass Ayoob said not to count on the lasers in a gunfight so much that your life depends on them working (paraphrased). With my old eyes I'll take all the advantage I can get.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about green, but, my cats will chase a red one like crazy, and the dog will think about it! I think within the self defense range 7-10 yards it wouldn't matter

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, what do you want to mount it on? Will this be for CCW or Home Defense? The green laser beam is much more visible to humans (much less for animals), particularly in full daylight outdoors. However, the number and type of true weapons grade green lasers is much smaller. The greens are also much more expensive. Couple that with a lack of decent holsters for handguns equipped with green lasers and you really have to ask whether it's worth the added hassle and expense, particularly if you envision using one indoors or in low light for defense.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red lasers are worthless in daylight. The human eye is much more sensitive to green that red and it is more likely that you can still see green on a target in daylight. Ever try to laser bore sight a rifle during the day? Unless you have a reflective target, it won't happen.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got both lasers and I much prefer the green laser over the red. It's easier to see during the day or night, and the green laser is much more visible at longer distances.

For indoors, or at night, the red laser works well, but outdoors during daylight hours, it isn't a very good choice.

I have old eyes, and even though I can still shoot with iron sights, with some difficulty with my focus, I prefer laser sights for quick target acquisition.

I am using a red laser for my home defense weapon(s), and I am getting a green laser for my carry weapon(s), and for shooting outdoors, and will most likely replace my red laser with one.

If the laser doesn't work when I need it for defense, I will get by with iron sights, but I like having the laser to help out.

Buy a good quality laser for self sefense use. Don't go for the cheap stuff.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated earlier, green lasers are easier to see. They're also more expensive, and reportedly crap out in the cold
. I've not personally run across this, but what lasers I use are red. Btw, red lasers are fine on bright days at about 15 to 20 yards in, at least for me. With all that said, unless you're running NVG's/NOD's, lasers are pretty much gimmicky and serve limited purpose (IMHO). That said, if you're gonna trust it but quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom