Budget handguns reviewed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been a lot of great deals on firearms lately. I've been bad and bought a few. Some were one-time only deals. Some are still available. I took a few of my new toys to the range today to try them out. I thought I write brief reviews, in case anyone might be interested in taking advantage of the deals. All were fired using handloaded ammo, loaded with coated cast lead bullets. I believe that all of the deals listed below are still available.

Steyr.jpg

Steyr M2-A2. This was 375 from Berelli.com. I have been intrigued by these for a while. I can't help it, they look like ray guns. I was very impressed. The sights are proprietary and are different. I like them. When I paid attention to trigger control this was the most accurate handgun I have handled. The trigger is very good for a striker gun. I'd rank it as equal to Caniks, which have the best striker triggers I have tried. The reset is a bit unusual, it is very subtle. If you like to ride the reset it will take some practice to adjust to it. I really like the modular grips, similar to a VP9. I am not a fan of Glocks, largely due to the weird ergonomics. I think the grip angle on this is even more pronounced. I found it comfortable to fire, but it does tend to cause high shots until one adjusts to the grip angle. I think this will be one I'll keep.

P10c.jpg

CZ P10c. I picked this up for 288 from an online shop in Florida, no sales tax. The link is in the steals and deals section. I'd say that everything that has been written about it is correct. Ergonomics are very nice. It retains the CZ low bore axis. The trigger is a little heavy but has a nice wall and crisp break. The pistol is very accurate. I think this is one of the best deals available right now. I'm tempted to order another one.

Sar9.jpg

Sar9. I picked this up in a package with a red dot site from Locke and Loaded for 319. I really like the modular grip, which is very similar to a VP9. Trigger is ok. There a bit of creep, but it has a nice wall and is fairly crisp. The pistol is much more accurate than it has any right to be. This does not have an optics cut. They drilled and tapped holes in the slide to mount the red dot. The red dot it came with is open on the bottom for battery installation. I thought the way it was mounted was just asking for water to get into the sight and destroy it. So, I took it off and mounted it on another pistol. I think that the red dot was a pretty decent unit. For the price point I am very pleased with the pistol.

Dagger optic.jpg
Dagger flag.jpg

PSA daggers. PSA has been blowing out discontinued complete uppers. Complete lowers have been selling for 50. Both of these pistols were put together for less than 200 bucks. I mentioned earlier that I don't like Glocks. As these are Gen 3 copies, I didn't expect to like them. PSA has corrected the grip angle. However, I hat the finger groove. I'll probably remove the grooves at some point. The triggers are about like Glock triggers, crappy. In light of the bad triggers, they shoot pretty well. I did have some failure to feed on both guns. I suspect they don't like the lead bullets I was shooting. Glocks are also known for not liking cast lead ammo. At the price point these will be fun range guns, and would be ok for home defense. I probably wouldn't carry one.

There have been several other really good buys on both handguns and long guns recently. I've managed to practice at least a bit of restraint. I expect that as the economy deteriorates, the deals will get even better. It's worth the time to keep an eye out.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your Daggers look as if they are sporting M&P hinged triggers, but you're right about Glocks having lousy triggers. They also feel lousy in the hand and don't conceal well due to the blocky, square design.

However...

After you've carried one for 32 years, like I have, all other pistols feel wrong in the hand. I'm not saying they don't feel better (because they do) they just don't feel "right"

The Glock has a way of doing that to you. IMHO the Smith & Wesson model 5906 probably feels best in my hand than any other semi-auto pistol out there. But, the Glock has ruined my chances at ever owning anything else. Especially when I consistently score 94-96 at annual department requals.

Nice review. :thumb:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every Glock I have owned are Pigs. They eat anything you feed them, anything!
Yep. After I'd seen scores of shooters running through dust and mud over and over using Glocks with no issues, while other brands became jam-o-matics, I switched to Glock.

They're still ugly.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you thinking the deals are going to get better, especially with Christmas coming up. Lots of people are unloading guns and there have already been some rebates on new ones. I only have my eye on one particular Colt at the moment so we'll see I guess.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your Daggers look as if they are sporting M&P hinged triggers, but you're right about Glocks having lousy triggers. They also feel lousy in the hand and don't conceal well due to the blocky, square design.

However...

After you've carried one for 32 years, like I have, all other pistols feel wrong in the hand. I'm not saying they don't feel better (because they do) they just don't feel "right"

The Glock has a way of doing that to you. IMHO the Smith & Wesson model 5906 probably feels best in my hand than any other semi-auto pistol out there. But, the Glock has ruined my chances at ever owning anything else. Especially when I consistently score 94-96 at annual department requals.

Nice review. :thumb:

You’re correct, the Daggers use a hinged trigger similar to M&Ps. One nice thing about Daggers is that they will use any gen 3 Glock parts. I just can’t bring myself to spend hundreds to update a 150 dollar gun.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you thinking the deals are going to get better, especially with Christmas coming up. Lots of people are unloading guns and there have already been some rebates on new ones. I only have my eye on one particular Colt at the moment so we'll see I guess.

When I picked up the CZ, the shop’s racks and display cases were completely full, and they had set up temporary racks to hold overflow of used items. The owner told me that people are starting to get desperate.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The P10C is a great firearm.... but I have found that you can pick one up here and the the trigger sucks and pick one up over there and the trigger is great...... weird.

But yeah most of the glock clones I have shot.... sucked.

I would take the CZ over the glock clones any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Canik used to be a nice, budget priced Walter clone (Waltherish) - and some models are still cheap on GB but most I’ve seen in the wild are in the $500+ range.
I’d rather stretch the budget another bill or two and get the real deal if already over 5

Latest posts

Top Bottom