Reducing Penalties for Cock Fighting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-lawmaker-argues-punishment-cockfighting-harsh/39099011
As a RABID Republican I am absolutely dumbfounded by the lack of situation awareness demonstrated by this guy, Justin Humphrey District 19. Who goes to work and while waiting for the coffee maker to finish decides, "Hey here's a thought, let's hitch our wagon to a band of merry men of cockfighting!" How the heck does someone do the required mental gymnastics to get to the point where they think THIS is what my voters want? Is there not one staffer that has the intestinal fortitude to say "Hey, this isn't a good idea".

https://www.okhouse.gov/members/District.aspx?District=19

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those interested, I looked up the current law. Section 6 is spectators, all other sections deal with actively engaging and promoting cockfighting. So active participants face at least a year in the pen and 2k in fines, with a max of 10 years and 25k in fines.

A. Every person who is guilty of a felony under any of the provisions of Sections 2, 3, 4, or 5 of this act shall be punished by imprisonment in the state penitentiary for not less than one (1) year nor more than ten (10) years, or shall be fined not less than Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000.00) nor more than Twenty-five Thousand Dollars ($25,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

B. Every person who upon conviction is guilty of any of the provisions of Section 6 of this act shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one (1) year, or shall be fined not more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After watching the news story, I’m in favor of making it a misdemeanor. In my opinion, it’s a waste of taxpayer money to incarcerate an individual for up to 10 years in prison for fighting chickens. When cock fighting was legal, I watched a few events. It’s nothing that I enjoyed or cared about, but I don’t think it rises to the level of a felony. Our prisons are overcrowded, and I’m ok with allowing a cock fighter to walk the streets.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dogs loved outside more than inside.
I gave them a choice be inside or out but inside they had to lay on a designated sheet on the floor if they were laying down.
My dogs were short hair and cleaned often.
My Fila Mastiff loved the cold.
She would not come inside in the bitter cold and snow coming down.
I had a picture of her sleeping on the porch covered in snow.
I asked her if she wanted to come inside and she just looked at me and put her head back down and kept sleeping.

When she wanted in she would gently slap her paw against the sliding glass door basically knocking and I would let her in and wipe her down with a towel and wipe her feet.
My Pits were the same way they wanted to be outside.
I piled up my grass clippings in the back yard and during the winter they slept on that pile many nights.
Yes I always had a really nice dog house for them.
They would rather lay under a trailer .

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dogs loved outside more than inside.
I gave them a choice be inside or out but inside they had to lay on a designated sheet on the floor if they were laying down.
My dogs were short hair and cleaned often.
My Fila Mastiff loved the cold.
She would not come inside in the bitter cold and snow coming down.
I had a picture of her sleeping on the porch covered in snow.
I asked her if she wanted to come inside and she just looked at me and put her head back down and kept sleeping.

When she wanted in she would gently slap her paw against the sliding glass door basically knocking and I would let her in and wipe her down with a towel and wipe her feet.
My Pits were the same way they wanted to be outside.
I piled up my grass clippings in the back yard and during the winter they slept on that pile many nights.
Yes I always had a really nice dog house for them.
They would rather lay under a trailer .
What are you smoking???

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you smoking???
Post 2 mentioned an idea to initiate fines for leaving dogs outside below 32 degrees.
My dogs would tear the wall down to get out of the house if they had to.

I do not smoke anything.
I started smoking cigarettes when I was 12 and I quit when I was 12 because it made my butt hurt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom