Reloading 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have loaded tons of .38/.357 mag and 44 mag. But never any 9mm. Is there any trick to it, or anything that is different about loading it? Do I have to buy those little round "gas plates" for the brass? Thanks.

Mike

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no gas checks. If you have done those other straight wall cartridges, there is no trick other than the smaller cases aren't as easy to hold onto or grab. Hope you are loading on something at least a little progressive or turret. My ADD kicks in and I get bored loading the little boogers. revolver rounds, not so much cause I don't shoot as many as a 9mm or as fast. Enjoy loading the 9mm, I have loading 1000's and think it is the best way to really get out and enjoy a shooting session without the pain of ammo purchase.

I like unique in a 9mm, cheap powder, large flake, so unless you compress a charge it will overflow before you could possibly double charge. Not the cleanest, but not crap either, lead bullets a little more so, but all are.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really any tricks to reloading 9mm since it is straight wall. I also use Unique and like how it has performed for me so far.

It can definitely get monotonous loading hundreds of 9mm rounds. I only have a single stage press so I do not have the advantage of using a progressive press, but I have found that if I do them in about 200-300 round batches, it works best for me.

Ex. de-prime and re-size and just chunk them in a coffee can until I have them all done, then go through and prime them all, and of course fill powder and seat the bullet all in the same sitting.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey! I can do it without too much trouble. Just be sure and check the manual and don't load them too hot, you will be fine.

We are using WST (4.2 gr) with Mitch's lead bullets (125 gr) and either CCI or Federal primers. Works really, really well ... I think you can go a little hotter with plated bullets but since we found Mitch we don't use plated at all anymore so I can't remember for sure.

If you want to know PM me and I will see if I can find our old cheat sheets.

Have fun!!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really any tricks to reloading 9mm since it is straight wall. I also use Unique and like how it has performed for me so far.

It can definitely get monotonous loading hundreds of 9mm rounds. I only have a single stage press so I do not have the advantage of using a progressive press, but I have found that if I do them in about 200-300 round batches, it works best for me.

Ex. de-prime and re-size and just chunk them in a coffee can until I have them all done, then go through and prime them all, and of course fill powder and seat the bullet all in the same sitting.

I agree, if you are loading single stage, then do all your brass lot in each stage.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just so you know, the 9MM cartridge isn't a straight walled case, there is a slight but obvious taper. Here's the measurements.

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_400px_9x19mm_Parabellum_svg.png

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3.5gr of unique with a 147gr lead bullet, brass falls at your feet. Will not cycle all guns, but did all glocks I have shot it in. my 26 loved it. very soft shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom