reloading dies for a 22-250

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckitbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just for a 22-250 and I plan to reload for primarily for long range target shooting. I'd like your input on whether to get full length re-sizing dies or neck only? Is there a good reason to have both?
Thanks

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will need both unless you plan on full length resizing your brass every time. This has a tendency to overwork your brass and make them not last as long. With neck sizing, you are only sizing the necks to allow for proper tension to hold the bullets when you reload. It does nothing to reset the cartridge back to original specs. After a few firings, the cartridges will become hard to close the bolt on or will not allow the bolt to close at all. When that happens, you will need to full length resize the cartridge.

I will say that if you order Redding competition dies, the full length resizer is typically a body die. That die will full length resize the cartridge but not touch the neck. This will cause you to have an extra step to run the cartridge through the neck sizing die. If you do not want this extra step, you will need to order the full length bushing die as well. For info, I didn't talk about a standard full length sizing die since you are entertaining the idea of neck sizing only. Neck bushing dies allow you to customize the amount of tension so standard full length sizing will vary on neck tension more than likely when compared to neck sizing only.

rckitbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will need both unless you plan on full length resizing your brass every time. This has a tendency to overwork your brass and make them not last as long. With neck sizing, you are only sizing the necks to allow for proper tension to hold the bullets when you reload. It does nothing to reset the cartridge back to original specs. After a few firings, the cartridges will become hard to close the bolt on or will not allow the bolt to close at all. When that happens, you will need to full length resize the cartridge.

I will say that if you order Redding competition dies, the full length resizer is typically a body die. That die will full length resize the cartridge but not touch the neck. This will cause you to have an extra step to run the cartridge through the neck sizing die. If you do not want this extra step, you will need to order the full length bushing die as well. For info, I didn't talk about a standard full length sizing die since you are entertaining the idea of neck sizing only. Neck bushing dies allow you to customize the amount of tension so standard full length sizing will vary on neck tension more than likely when compared to neck sizing only.

That makes sence to me, I didn't know about the neck bushings however. Sounds like I need to study up on that.
Thanks

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think all dies that are designed to neck size only are bushing dies. It is just a little round piece of metal with varying internal diameter dimensions. This allows you to adjust the size of the neck by hundredths or thousandths of an inch in diameter. The process I read about said to load a bullet in a cartridge and measure the outside diameter of the cartridge. Take that measurement and subtract a few hundredths or thousandths of an inch from that and that is the size of the bushing you want to buy.

Redding has some good literature on this and has some nice diagrams as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom