Reloading Powders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All you really need is Unique. You can even ue it for reduced power rifle loads with cast bullets. 10 grains of Unique under any 170gr or less .30 cal cast bullet will give a nice practice round in just about anything.

seems like a lot, I have bout decided to go with 3031 for 45/70, but there is a 15gr unique loading, and gawd knows I got enough of it. bullet is a 405gr cast.

tack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting back into reloading again. I used to use a lot of unique 15 years ago. Glad to see it's still around! I used it in most of my pistol loads. Burned well, and a pound goes a long way. Used to use blue dot a lot too in the larger calibres like .357. Sometimes used bullseye in very small loadings. I would read the load data in my books, decide how I wanted the bullet to perform (also consider the projectile's makeup), and used the appropriate powder.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting back into reloading again. I used to use a lot of unique 15 years ago. Glad to see it's still around! I used it in most of my pistol loads. Burned well, and a pound goes a long way. Used to use blue dot a lot too in the larger calibres like .357. Sometimes used bullseye in very small loadings. I would read the load data in my books, decide how I wanted the bullet to perform (also consider the projectile's makeup), and used the appropriate powder.

unique's formula has changed in the past 15 yrs. might wantto make sure you consult a more recent book before you start using you old loads

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tyro, do u know if Unique is faster or slower since the change? Did Alliant chg any of the other powders (BDot, etc)?

I researched this some time ago so without looking it up yourself take it with a grain of salt

A couple years ago I saw someone on the high road saying that they did not use Unique any more since they change the formula. I compared current burn rates to an old hornady book from the 60's that my FIL had and it looked to be in the same (although the new chart listed more powders) But, The loads were quite a bit hotter which is normal for the rifle but not so much for pistol.

The old formula is somewhat before my time So I dont have any experience with it. Just thought I might warn you that it has change any that you might want to work up a load before you go into full production

Latest posts

Top Bottom