Reloading Powders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sales tax in Winfield couldn't be much higher than Tulsa; even at 10%, your tax for an 8lb jug of Unique would be $9.85 ($98.50/8lbs). Gas + tax still wouldn't add up to the $25 hazmat + shipping costs.

Kansas sales tax is lower (about 6-6.5% IIRC). I don't call 8 pounds (1 jug) of powder a group buy. It might be a nice start for one person in a group buy. Run the numbers for 30 pounds of powder and 20K of primers then tell me driving there makes sense. That amount of powder and primers should be easy to reach with several people stocking up. The key words are "group buy" as the original poster indicated. Vehicle gas mileage and time away from something else are other things to consider.

Just run the numbers and do what makes the best sense for a particular order.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my fault; somehow I passed over the "group buy" aspect. Yes, if a guy was to haul 32lbs back ($54/4lb jug, 8 jugs), you'd have $3 or $4 in taxes over the hazmat shipping fee. But then, with the current shipping rates - what would 30 pounds run from UPS? I see your point. For whatever reason, I was thinking smaller quantity.

So who wants to pool an order and have it shipped to the Tulsa area?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
45acp - TiteGroup
44 special - N/A
357 mag - 2400
38 special - TiteGroup
9mm - TiteGroup
380 auto - N/A
32acp - N/A
223 - Varget
25-06 - N/A
308 - Varget
300 win mag. N/A

30-06 - Varget
25 WSSM - Varget and IMR 4064
243 - IMR 4064
338 Lapua - H4831sc

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that makes sense... tax savings should just about pay for shipping and hazmat.

Make sure of the sales tax situation before driving up. In the past, anything picked up locally had to pay KS sales tax. Get the order together then compare shipping plus haz-mat costs versus sales tax and driving (gas) costs. You may not save that much money by not shipping it; run the numbers and find out.

For real 357 mag loads, don't forget blue dot. It burns very clean and consistent at magnum pressures and gives close to max velocity.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll be the lone voice of dissent about Varget and 223, at least in an AR.

I have never gotten that combo to perform well with any bullet I've tried. 55's through 77's have all equally stunk in barrels ranging from 1 in 9 to 1 in 7. My conclusion was that it just isn't possible to get enough powder under a long heavy bullet. Loading as much as a grain under the Sierra max load has always resulted in a very compressed powder charge when seating to mag length and depending on the bullet I have actually gotten deformation of the nose when seating. I have tried everything I could find to settle the powder before bullet seating, I just never got good results.

I have not yet succeeded to get MOA performance in an AR with Varget. 55's have performed very well with AA2230 and the heavier bullets have performed exemplary with TAC. The best thing is that these powders are typically available, much cheaper than Varget, and run through a powder measure very cleanly.

Varget is the bee's knees in my Savage with 155gr Lapua scenars however, that rifle loves Varget under any bullet.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be the lone voice of dissent about Varget and 223, at least in an AR.

I have never gotten that combo to perform well with any bullet I've tried. 55's through 77's have all equally stunk in barrels ranging from 1 in 9 to 1 in 7. My conclusion was that it just isn't possible to get enough powder under a long heavy bullet. Loading as much as a grain under the Sierra max load has always resulted in a very compressed powder charge when seating to mag length and depending on the bullet I have actually gotten deformation of the nose when seating. I have tried everything I could find to settle the powder before bullet seating, I just never got good results.

I have not yet succeeded to get MOA performance in an AR with Varget. 55's have performed very well with AA2230 and the heavier bullets have performed exemplary with TAC. The best thing is that these powders are typically available, much cheaper than Varget, and run through a powder measure very cleanly.

Varget is the bee's knees in my Savage with 155gr Lapua scenars however, that rifle loves Varget under any bullet.
BLC2 works good also. I use either 2230 or BLC2, whichever is on hand at the time. It's a ball powder too and meters just like 2230.

Once upon a time the benchrest crowd just loved their BLC2 in .223, am I showing my age?

Latest posts

Top Bottom