reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Where reloading comes be be hugely beneficial is when you shoot many thousands of one or two calibers every year. Reloading .223 for blasting is retarded, reloading 9mm offers relatively little savings. But what you can produce at or less than the cost of buying bulk quantity 9mm is match quality ammunition with better recoil characteristics. Bullets that shoot like laser beams, powder that burns quickly without overpressurizing. Good stuff. The accuracy part applies to .223 also. You can make superior quality .223 at the same price you'd pay for cases of plinking ammo.

Really? I have the brass so all I am out is Powder, Primer and projectile. I can reload 1000 round of 55 gr FMJ for about 240.00 and I can have it when I need it. That's anything but Retarded. What is a 1000 rounds of 55 gr FMJ going for right now?

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What Mitch is talking about is the effort that goes into loading 223. Trimming swaging etc. This was also before prices went full stupid. You could up until a few weeks ago get PMC bronze for around 300 per K to your door. Then you could sell the cases for 50-60 bucks and be at 250 per K. That wasn't enough savings for a lot of people to invest in a trimmer/die set/tool head for your press. Not to mention the time that goes into brass prep.

Handgun calibers including 9mm will save you 25-50% over factory if you buy your components correctly. Primers by the 5-10K, powder by the 8lb jug, and bullets starting at 2K.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What Mitch is talking about is the effort that goes into loading 223. Trimming swaging etc. This was also before prices went full stupid. You could up until a few weeks ago get PMC bronze for around 300 per K to your door. Then you could sell the cases for 50-60 bucks and be at 250 per K. That wasn't enough savings for a lot of people to invest in a trimmer/die set/tool head for your press. Not to mention the time that goes into brass prep.

Handgun calibers including 9mm will save you 25-50% over factory if you buy your components correctly. Primers by the 5-10K, powder by the 8lb jug, and bullets starting at 2K.

When the current price is over 450.00 Per 1000 a 225.00 saving is pretty good and you have the ability to make ammo when you need it and not pay these stupid prices. I have been reloading for 15+ years I understand what goes into it but I also understand the rewards too.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do a lot of you guys pick up range brass? I can't bring myself to do it. I don't know the history of the brass. Without any way to check the thickness of the base of the casing, I guess I'm just scared it may already be too thin to reuse and err on the side of caution. I can see buying from a source that knows the history, such as someone on this board that says it's once fired. Should I just assume (I know) that range brass is once fired?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do a lot of you guys pick up range brass? I can't bring myself to do it. I don't know the history of the brass. Without any way to check the thickness of the base of the casing, I guess I'm just scared it may already be too thin to reuse and err on the side of caution. I can see buying from a source that knows the history, such as someone on this board that says it's once fired. Should I just assume (I know) that range brass is once fired?

With pistol rounds, range brass is all you need. I've got some .40 brass that's been loaded dozens of times. Rifle brass can stretch and get thin, but when that happens a crack will usually occur in the bottleneck area.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reloading for around 45 years. There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you are producing the load that you used to take a nice buck. But the best advantage I've seen to it in the last few days is the fact that I have enough components where as I would never have to buy anything again and I would always have ammo. Might not be exactly what I wanted but I would always have something to shoot. I hope the ban everyone is talking about never happens of course..But if it does then Ole VIKING will still be shooting and hunting for a long, long time.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the current price is over 450.00 Per 1000 a 225.00 saving is pretty good and you have the ability to make ammo when you need it and not pay these stupid prices. I have been reloading for 15+ years I understand what goes into it but I also understand the rewards too.

This,

And loading it on a progressive is cake.

Zombie11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've got a full set up i'm looking to git rid of, if you are interested you can drop by and i can walk you through what everything is and what you'll need, and if you're interested i'd sell it to you at a fair price. i've been reloading 44 mag, 45 acp, 45-70, .243, 38 spc and some others for years. got a lot of brass and lead for these. let me know if you're interested in checking it out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom