reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More information than that is needed.

What are you wanting to shoot?

Calibers?

Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun?

How much are you going to shoot?

There are more questions, but we'll start with those first.

tman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like OKChunter said, read the manual thuroughly especially the safety section. Figure out what equipment you want/need. You can go with high dollar Dillon, RCBS or budget Lee stuff. The kits are usually really good deals.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have a 9mm 40, and 223. I was researching reloading the 9mm looked more expensive to reload than to buy new. Idk about the others. I know 223 is expensive!

It is. But you have to see that reloading match quality ammunition is cheaper than buying match quality. The real savings in 223 and like calibers is in reloaded jhp/hunting type of rounds. We save a lot on that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you buy a hundred bullets at a time, then yes, 9mm could be more expensive.

If you don't factor in re-using the cases, and only buy 1000ct bullets/brass/primers. Then I'm about even with buying a thousand loaded 9mm. (assuming brass cased, not Wolf or other steel cased)

If you buy larger lots of components, and reuse brass, and can shoot lead, then you can start saving on 9mm.

But you're right, if that's the only thing you shoot, it's probably not worth the time and money to start re-loading.

.223 is similar, unless you're shooting something better than bulk blaster ammo. Match ammo is worth loading.

Where reloading starts really paying off is revolver / larger / less common handgun calibers, and rifle calibers.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading is becoming a lost art. I used to reload just to see how much accuracy I could get out of a load. I started with an RCBS single stage press and through the years I've drank the kool-aid and now I mainly use Dillon's XL-650. Nowadays, I just do a lot plinking and informal shooting.

I load 9mm, .38/.357, 40S&W, 45GAP, 45ACP, .223 and .308. Whenever I load I try to get the best prices for components that I can and buy in bulk. When I say bulk, I find the best prices that I can for boxes of 5000 primers, 8 pound jugs of powder and the best rate for bullets seems to be 1000 at a time.

That may seem like a lot to a beginner, but reloading is an evil monster. The more you load, the more you shoot and the cycle never stops.

When I go to the range I always try to come back with more brass than I shot. Sometimes I pick up some of the lead. I also have a friend who owns a tire shop and gives me old wheel weights and I cast my own bullets, buckshot and slugs. Saves more money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom