Remington 700 7mm Mag ADL What to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be ending up with this rifle for the low low cost of, well, free!

I'm guessing on the ADL model. As it has no hinged magazine door, nor removable magazine. The Action and barrel are black park finish. I swear this gun has never been fired as there is a few pieces of styrofoam stuck to the bolt face. The rifle has factory rifle sights.

The barrel has some rust on it as a result of the thieves leaving these rifles in the mud. I have yet to clean this up so I don't know exactly how bad the finish is going to be. Hopefully salvage able otherwise its time to refinish the gun.

I have a few questions for those of you that know. High Powered bolt guns are not in my inventory of researched topics, yet.

Plans for this rifle. I have wanted to get a 700 in .308 to shoot long range with but this might just change the path I'm taking.

Is the 7mm Mag round a preferred round. Would a change to a different caliber on this action be preferred to accomplish accurate shooting at longer ranges. No 1k distances that I plan on shooting.

I know i have some reading before I could even ask the questions of, which barrel, stock, bottom metal, scope, etc etc etc.

What are your opinions.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be ending up with this rifle for the low low cost of, well, free!

I'm guessing on the ADL model. As it has no hinged magazine door, nor removable magazine. The Action and barrel are black park finish. I swear this gun has never been fired as there is a few pieces of styrofoam stuck to the bolt face. The rifle has factory rifle sights.

The barrel has some rust on it as a result of the thieves leaving these rifles in the mud. I have yet to clean this up so I don't know exactly how bad the finish is going to be. Hopefully salvage able otherwise its time to refinish the gun.

I have a few questions for those of you that know. High Powered bolt guns are not in my inventory of researched topics, yet.

Plans for this rifle. I have wanted to get a 700 in .308 to shoot long range with but this might just change the path I'm taking.

Is the 7mm Mag round a preferred round. Would a change to a different caliber on this action be preferred to accomplish accurate shooting at longer ranges. No 1k distances that I plan on shooting.

I know i have some reading before I could even ask the questions of, which barrel, stock, bottom metal, scope, etc etc etc.

What are your opinions.

I would change calibers for sure. 7mm Mag is abusively harsh recoil and in my opinion, there's little gained that justifies it. Its also god-awful expensive.

I don't know what you can convert it to easily (I've got no idea what the long-action or larger bolt-faces are), but if you could convert it with just a barrel/mag, then it would be a pretty cool .338LM - but I doubt you could use your bolt without some mods (if even then).

If you couldn't easily convert it, I'd sell it and get the one you want in the caliber you want.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doing a little more research late last night and today. I'm leaning to selling it. Probably pay to get it refinished. as there is a considerable amount of rust on the barrel. Receiver is just fine. Unless someone wants a project that they can play with.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a Remington M700 Sendero chambered in 7mm Mag. With my handloads, I could shoot 12oz water bottles at 300yds off the hood of a pickup with monotonous regularity. It did have a <3# trigger and a 4x16x50 Bushnell 4200 Elite, both of which made things easier. It was my only deer rifle but I wanted something more traditional to hunt with, so I sold it to my old boss who still has it today. The rifle I have now is a Ruger M77 in .30-06, and I love it, even though the trigger is heavy and it doesn't shoot factory loads as well as the Sendero (I'm working up handloads for it).

All that to say: I really enjoyed the 7mm mag, but you won't be happy unless it is exactly what you want. That goes for the caliber and the rifle.

-MBB

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doing a little more research late last night and today. I'm leaning to selling it. Probably pay to get it refinished. as there is a considerable amount of rust on the barrel. Receiver is just fine. Unless someone wants a project that they can play with.

PM me if you decide to sell. I may be interested.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 7mm RM is a great cartridge. The .308 Win can not compete ballistically without going down to a smaller dia. bullet. ie. .260 or .243.
With the 7mm RM you want to go with a 168-180 bullet for long range.
The 7mm RM is not punishing. It depends on the rifle weight, and recoil pad. I had a Sako TRG-S 300WM (fell in the Verdigris River) that had a spacer set-up for the recoil pad. It sucked...I changed over to a Limbsaver pad and now the rifle is so much better to shoot. I have a built .308 rifle...so I am not knocking it.
Chris Matthews owner/builder of longshotrifles in Missourri is building me a 7mm RM, Rem. 700 action, Broughton 5C barrel, McMillan stock (HTG,60%OD,20%black,20%grey swirl, Limbsaver), Williams bottom metal, Nightforce 3.5x15x50 NSX R1, PTG fluted OS bolt, speedlock, OD finish on metal. Should be a sweet shooter. I already have 500pcs of Norma brass and a load of Berger VLD's.
I'd stick with the 7mm RM; but you will probably want to get rid of all the parts if you are serious about long distance shooting.:cry3:
Maybe you should just sell it and buy a Tikka T-3 in .243.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its got an older Remington Trigger in it, you might consider keeping it and trying to get a newer trigger to put in it (the old one's were better than the new in my opinion).

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its got an older Remington Trigger in it, you might consider keeping it and trying to get a newer trigger to put in it (the old one's were better than the new in my opinion).

Did you just contradict youself? Replace the older trigger with a new one because the older ones are better than the newer ones. Is that what I read?

I haven't ran the serial number yet. Its new enough to have the lovely lock built into the bolt. But old enough to still be an ADL. As it looks now Remington doesn't offer the ADL now.

Decisions Decisions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom