Remington 700 AND Savage 10FP Gurus needed please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rab986

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok... Here is the scoop. I'm doing some possible bartering for these two firearms that I know little about and am hoping I can get a couple of you hardcore bolt action guys to chime in and give me an idea of what I should look for, what questions to ask, and an estimate of what they may be worth.

I have been trolling the www. for the last 2 days trying to find out for myself but there are so many different variants of each, I think I may know less now than when I started.

Remington

Remington 700 in .223 Rem, 27.5 inch stainless floated ultra heavy barrel (1 in 10 twist), Choate Ultimate Sniper stock, BSA 6-24x scope (with sunshade but not illuminated), Weaver bases, Weaver rings, jewel adjustable trigger. Scope is zeroed .

I guess the owner before him upgraded to the 27.5" ultra heavy barrel. The rifling is said to be flawless and with the 27.5" barrel (overkill maybe on a .223?) he said his 8 year old holds sub MOA effortlessly. The action has been verified by Remington Arms to be a 1971 action and has minimal wear for it's age.

ai496.photobucket.com_albums_rr324_rab986_TacDrivers_rem700.jpg

Savage

Savage 10FP in .308 Win, 20 inch blued floated heavy barrel (1 in 10 twist), Leupold bases, Leupold rings, copy of a Leupold Mark 4 in 3.5-10x adjustable w/ red illumination. Scope is zeroed.

The Savage is newer so it has the factory adjustable Accutrigger and is in the factory stock form. There is a tactical bolt handle installed and I understand that he has the factory handle as well. Less than 200 rounds through it.

ai496.photobucket.com_albums_rr324_rab986_TacDrivers_10fp.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of each and any further details I may need to get in order to get a good idea as to what each might be worth.

Thanks
Steve

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a nice Remington. 27.5 inches is a pretty long barrel and I'm not sure what advantage that would give you, maybe a little more velocity or maybe not. I think I would want a faster twist than 1/10 for heavier bullets. I have a 20 inch 1/9 twist and 69grains worth of bullet is pretty much it thus far. As far as a 1971 action I don't know that Remington 700 actions appreciate with age, theres only about 32 billion of them out there all looking and being pretty much the same. However If you like it and are good with the price I'd say go for it. The Savage, I have friends that own that rifle and they are supposed to be very accurate and well made. They are not a real expensive gun new off the rack. Again if you like it, buy it.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've seen alot of Remington bashing of late on several forums, and most of it seems to be from their latest model 700's. I have an original 700DXLH that has been a charmer. From the newer ones I've seen(not fired) it looks as their quality has slipped.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you have to ask yourself what purpose you will be using the rifle for. Is it going to be a hunting or sporting rifle. Are you going to be shooting matches with the gun or is it just to have for recreational shooting. The Remington action is one of the best on the market. I think for a multi use gun I would go with the 308 Savage because the .223 does have some limitations and the 308 is a better round in my opinion. Both Savage and Remington are great brands but the Remington will hold it's value more. you will also be able to find mods for the Remington more available than the Savage. You can Find a new Remington 700 for about 600 dollars and the Savage runs just a little cheaper. the Remington does seem to have a bit of a long barrel and the Savage seems to be set up more for a tactical use as opposed to a long range target gun like the Remington. I own a Remington 700 in 30-06 and love the gun. It is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot. You need to decide what the use you need the rifle for and buy accordingly.

Here is my Remington and some groups I was able to get out of it at 100 yards

[Broken External Image]

Here is a three shot group all touching from 100 yards
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

another three shot group at 100 all touching
[Broken External Image]

The Remington is as accurate as you can shoot it. Let us know what you decide on and good luck on your next purchase.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That savage looks like a Model 10LE1. If it is, the Blue Book puts it at $775 for 100% finish, $625 for 98%, $500 for 95%. So depending on the finish. As for the scope, you said it was a "copy of a Leupold Mark 4" so I don't really even know where to begin. I think most knock off scopes are used primarly on airsoft guns. It might be worth $25, maybe $50.00?

I might be interested in it, if you're not if you want to put me in touch with the guy.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 to what spd67 said - What do you want to do with whichever rifle you acquire?

That Remington is hard to pass up seeing as it has an older action and aftermarket barrel (the trigger is a much-appreciated upgrade as well), but I'd tell whoever you're bartering with to keep the BSA scope (I'd personally tell them to keep the stock - I'm not a fan). Who made the barrel (this is an important question to ask)?

If I understand correctly, 1/10 twist sort of pigeon-holes you into needing that extra length (from what I've read - I've got no experience with a 1/10 .223 barrel) to gain the extra rotation needed for larger bullets. That's sort of a turn-off to me, but it makes for a super-heavy prone or bench shooter that won't have any issues with recoil.

If you intend to buy the rifle, and keep it as-is (and occasionally hunt with it) I'd get the Savage for sure, but that copy of the Leupold would go in the trash.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, 1/10 twist sort of pigeon-holes you into needing that extra length (from what I've read - I've got no experience with a 1/10 .223 barrel) to gain the extra rotation needed for larger bullets. That's sort of a turn-off to me, but it makes for a super-heavy prone or bench shooter that won't have any issues with recoil.

I don't think the extra 1.5" or so (obviously comparing to a 26" barrel) is going to save you from the slow twist rate. The only way it would is if it guaranteed you a higher muzzle velocity. It very well may give a higher muzzle velocity (as instincts would tell you) but it's hard to say if it's enough. I dunno why they would've put an after-market barrel on and kept it at 1/10. Who knows what the original builder's intent was. A 1/9 rate is a pretty good compromise, but a 1/7 is really best if you're going to be shooting the heavier .223 rounds (78gr smk's and the like).

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd opt for the Savage, you don't like the caliber slap it in the vise and screw on a new barrel! granted I don't like Remington anymore that's an older action when they used to build things right. Don't add the scopes into the price both would not be worth the effort just look at the rifles but in the end for the 2 options you have I would still opt for the Savage as it's looks stock while the Remington has been played with and you don't know how well the guy that played with it was! plus it has that ugly @$$ stock LOL Later,

Kirk

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the extra 1.5" or so (obviously comparing to a 26" barrel) is going to save you from the slow twist rate. The only way it would is if it guaranteed you a higher muzzle velocity. It very well may give a higher muzzle velocity (as instincts would tell you) but it's hard to say if it's enough. I dunno why they would've put an after-market barrel on and kept it at 1/10. Who knows what the original builder's intent was. A 1/9 rate is a pretty good compromise, but a 1/7 is really best if you're going to be shooting the heavier .223 rounds (78gr smk's and the like).

Oh I fully agree, but I was talking vs. chopping it down to 20" (I likes mine easy to fit in the back of the Jeep going to and from the range :D ).